Why arguments and debates about God and religion are fruitless

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Gabfly1, Sep 2, 2010.

1. "It's difficult to remove by logic an idea not placed there by logic in the first place."
    --Gordon Livingston

2. Logic being a relative term of course. One mans logic is another mans wild assed guess. It ain't about logic, it's about ego. Very few can admit they don't have anything of substance to base their opinion on, and at the end of the day, it's all opinion.

3. See what I mean? :)

4. Ricter

Ricter

All this means to me is that logic cannot meet every human need. Is that a big revelation?

5. "NOR MUST WE OVERLOOK THE PROBABILITY OF THE CONSTANT INCULCATION IN A BELIEF IN GOD ON THE MINDS OF CHILDREN PRODUCING SO STRONG AND PERHAPS AS INHERITED EFFECT ON THEIR BRAINS NOT YET FULLY DEVELOPED, THAT IT WOULD BE AS DIFFICULT FOR THEM TO THROW OFF THEIR BELIEF IN GOD, AS FOR A MONKEY TO THROW OFF ITS INSTINCTIVE FEAR AND HATRED OF A SNAKE."
    Charles Darwin

"It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against
    christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of
    thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which
    follows from the advance of science." [Darwin]

6. And here we have, to no one's suprise, the Marxist speaking out against logic... LOL!!!!

7. I'm only guessing, but I think it has more to do with the efficacy of logic as a tool to overcome arguments not grounded in any logic to begin with. I agree with Free Thinker's Darwin reference about gradual illumination.

8. "Why arguments and debates about God and religion are fruitless"

i dont agree. example. years ago when i first started debating religion i was a lonely voice in the wilderness.
    now it has all changed. when i go to a place like the huffington post religion section and read some religious nonsense and decide to make a comment i find that there are already hundreds of non believers making the same argument as i would have. it is refreshing to see so many freethinkers not afraid to comment nowdays.

9. Yes, but the question is, how many people have actually changed their mind as compared to voicing a view they already held? It's that old analogy of bringing a horse to water. I think people need to be willing to question their faith before logic can have any effect on them. And among the already inculcated, I think it has to happen on their own timetable if at all. A True Believer, by definition, cannot digest logic. I don't think the endless debates in this forum have changed anyone's mind.

10. Dawkins argues the same. A brainwashing that is passed on from generation to generation. That is a cycle not easily breakable.

#10     Sep 2, 2010