why are T-notes so strong?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Poole, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Poole

Poole

kind of odd, specifically the 30 year note

its at 115 now, and heading up....

im thinking of shorting it long time frame, but not sure if its a great idea.

You would think that with inflation picking up, and the weakened dollar, that notes and bonds may not be the best place to park money

But it seems like the masses are just heading to safety ?

2. bgp

bgp

poole there is a flight to quality occuring.

bgp

3. Poole

Poole

yeah thats what i figured

any guesses where the top is on the 30 year notes?

121?

here?

4. They are strong because it was obvious there were a lot more buyers than sellers today.

my system is having me short it all the way up though, so I am positive it will go back down.

RIDE THE DRAGON!

5. Panic selling of stocks buys dollars and treasuries.

When panic ends, dollar goes back to decline. I'd imagine rates go back up, too.

See august panic for example

6. bgp

bgp

next area of resistance on the 30 yr bond is : 115-21 then 116-04. it all depends how deep the drop in the dow is.

bgp

7. bgp

bgp

hi so far tonight on 30 yr .bond 115-20

bgp

8. sharp10

sharp10

I did hear from a friend down in the pits that the move in the 10yr was amplified by an error on a pretty big option spread, which it was wrong sided.

9. bgp

bgp

yes, i heard that.

bgp

10. Poole

Poole

dangggggg

so where is the top for the 30 year notes?

121?

I basically want to trade the 30 year against my house, if bond prices keep falling like this, the RE market will be saved somewhat and/or I will be able to refinance into a lower 30 year fixed

so I want to short the 30 year note, only question is where to start shorting?

could this sucker go all the way to like 135?

#10     Nov 21, 2007