Wholly crap TSLA not available for short sale!

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Saltynuts, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Never run into this before - this is in IB where they seem to have pretty good short availability. Is everyone and their mom now turning against this thing and shorting it?

2. Sig

Sig

I wouldn't use availability at one broker as any guage of anything. The short lending market is famously opaque and idiosyncratic by broker because there is no national broker or NBBO type requirement. Very possible if you'd checked 10 minutes later or at another broker they would have a gazillion shares available, or maybe not. I'd say the short interest (like percentage interest rate) charged is a much better indicator of what you're looking for than if a given broker happens to have inventory.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  3. Got it Sig. Much thanks.

4. destriero

destriero

There is no issue shorting TSLA. The synthetic short is priced to shares.

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

You probably want to sell vertical calls anyway...

ET180 likes this.
  6. Lee-

Lee-

IB has a tool to show you how many shares are available and from how many lenders as well as rates. There's a small amount of historical data there as well. I'm not sure if they publish who they coordinate share borrowing with (I've not seen such a list). Anyway the tool can be found in the account management -> support -> SLB tool. It is updated every 15 minutes as far as I can tell. Might be worth seeing if there was a trend towards 0 when you tried to short or if it was sort of a gap down and then bounce back up in shares available (ie could have been a bug or something going on with their share borrowing system).

7. themickey

themickey

8. nursebee

nursebee

9. nursebee

nursebee

150 000

10. nursebee

nursebee

back to 100K, only 658K shares so far in volume

#10     Jul 30, 2018