Who just launched an ICBM 35 miles from SoCal coast?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MohdSalleh, Nov 9, 2010.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_094_submarine

Operators: People's Liberation Army Navy

Displacement: 8,000 tons surfaced , 9,000 tons submerged
    Length: 133 m [4]
    Propulsion: Nuclear reactor, 1 shaft
    Speed: 20+ kts
    Range: Unlimited
    Armament: Torpedoes: six 533 mm bow tubes Missiles: 12 JL-2 SLBM

The Type 094 (NATO reporting name: Jin-class; Chinese: 晋级潜艇) is a new class of ballistic missile submarine developed by the Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy. The first-of-class was constructed at Huludao Shipyard in Huludao, Liaoning Province and launched in July 2004. At least two are confirmed to have been launched.

The JL-2 (巨浪-2 Ju Lang-2, Giant Wave 2) is a Chinese second generation intercontinental-range submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) which has a two-stage, solid-liquid fuelled propulsion design. Accurate specifications of the new missile are hard to obtain and substantiate due to the secretive nature of the program. However, the missile is thought to be able to deliver its payload(s) up to a range of 7,200 km[3] (4,500 miles) to 8,000 km (5,000 miles) and could carry either single or multiple warheads (conventional or nuclear).

:confused: :confused: :confused:

#11     Nov 9, 2010
  2. Should the U.S. military know where it landed? Then you will have a good guess who fired it.

#12     Nov 9, 2010
  3. bkveen3

bkveen3

I stand corrected. But do you really think they are willing to risk a full scale deep water naval war with the United States because they may have 5 subs?

US Navy

433,500 personnel
    289 ships
    3,700+ aircraft
    11 Aircraft carriers
    10 Amphibious assault ships
    9 Amphibious transport docks
    12 Dock landing ships
    22 Cruisers
    55 Destroyers
    30 Frigates
    71 Submarines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy

#13     Nov 9, 2010
  4. bkveen3

bkveen3

I thought I would add that this class is still incapable of vertical missile launches.

#14     Nov 9, 2010
  5. I would suggest you google it before you repeatedly embarrassing yourself.

#15     Nov 9, 2010
  6. jokepie

jokepie

Could be the Aliens saying hello !!

or the Space craft from the Blackberry's new phone video !!

#16     Nov 9, 2010
  7. They tried it again today but it failed:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ey-pxV7qPZQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ey-pxV7qPZQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

#17     Nov 9, 2010
  8. bkveen3

bkveen3

I only used his comments which said the armaments were torpedoes. I see that it says missiles next to it. I have spoken too quickly twice, but if you continue to think that China would risk war with the US at this stage in the game you are crazy. China is mad because they need to stall another 5-10 years while they develop a Navy capable of competing with the United States. Obviously we are not interested in letting it get to that stage. The missile was not from a Chinese sub. The possibility is almost 0. The launch site is near several Naval and AF installations dealing with weapons research. I presume that is a far more likely culprit. Unless you really think the military admits to every operation it runs.

#18     Nov 9, 2010
  9. I only pointed out very specific factual matter, did not express my opinion on other matter, such as if China is the one fired it.
    You acted like a compulsive gambler, the more you lose the more stack you risk.
    I do not have time to put up a debate on the expanded topic.

#19     Nov 9, 2010
  10. 9999

Was it really an ICBM? Hard to tell just looking at the contrails. For your safety, I hope it isn't. And if they can identify it, then they'll know who launched it. I believe the Navy screwed up and doesn't want to admit it.

#20     Nov 9, 2010