who is dumb enough to sell weekly calls on SPX/ES

Discussion in 'Options' started by tradelosses, Aug 26, 2016.

1. tiny premiums. if the price rises just .5% ur screwed . the premiums are so tiny to make it worthwhile

2. Tomaz26

Tomaz26

So what. If the price rises you make money on the underlaying... You cannot loose money if the prices rises.. The risk is on the downside with CC...

3. If they are so dumb to sell them, does that mean you are super smart and buying them all?

But I do agree I would be hesitant when working with very small premiums. But if it's a covered call then it doesn't matter

ET180, Sig and Cacophonie like this.
  4. 2rosy

2rosy

not sure about spx/es but the market I am in weekly has higher implied

cjbuckley4 likes this.
  5. Sig

Sig

Exactly. If you think that some of the most traded options in the world are mispriced than you have a spectacular buying opportunity! Or it could be that thousands of experts in options who trade in these products every day know a little about what they're doing. In general I've found when my trading insight relies on everyone else in the market being a complete imbecile, then I'm the complete imbecile.

ET180, i960, Motobug and 3 others like this.
  6. Dolemite

Dolemite

This is spot on. Unless you are trading in nanoseconds, there is no such thing as a mispriced option.

Deuteronomy_24_7 likes this.
  7. Handle123

Handle123

I always sell new contract highs in all the Indexes right now, guess I am dumb as well. I been doing it since mid 1991, guess I been dumb since then as well. Nothing wrong selling Call credit spreads in SPX so long as you are wise on how to do that. Guessing those that do so are wise to the risk or they won't be around trading for long. But it makes for a good post on what majority of folks not doing.

You all have nice weekend.

8. DB Trades

DB Trades

Whoever was dumb enough to do it just as you posted has made about $1,000 per contract today. Unfortunately, I was too smart for that.

janny, tommcginnis and FCXoptions like this.
  9. Hey * tradelosses* why don't you post something besides how " dumb" you think things are?!

10. CBC

CBC

I'm a buyer only, and I don't trade ES calls because when the market rises the prices hardly move because of IV. However when it drops the ES calls follow it.

I have the complete opposite opinion on this. GL.

#10     Aug 27, 2016