Where to begin developing?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by mczx, Jan 10, 2015.

1. mczx

mczx

I want to start developing an automated system. What are my initial options? While I am involved in technology, I would prefer not have to code to do this. Can a system be created based on candle patterns or similar graphical events? If not, can I interperet the price action into a system, example, bar close is 10% lower than previous bar etc.

Next would be scaling and stops and back testing live and historical.

From there what platforms and brokers do I need?

Any additional costs to test automation?

I am planning for Eminis, YM NQ possibly SP and more.

2. xandman

xandman

Here is one possible progression for a C# programmer:

1) Ninjatrader demo - Free for daily patterns
    2) Ninjatrader w/ a data source for intraday and execution
    3) SmartQuant/OpenQuant so that you can incorporate scientific/statistical libraries

Hopefully, the real subject matter experts chime in for you. But thing can get confusing if you really don't have programming domain knowledge.

3. mczx

mczx

I can locate patterns pretty well, my mind seems geared for it. But having to learn C# just to program a pattern seems a bit much.

4. 1245

You develop your strategy. Find a programmer that has done this before, that will work for a small % of profits or, just pay someone a flat fee to do the development. Every day that passes that you are not trading a profitable strategy has a cost associated with it.

Sometimes we should just stick to what we do best an pay a professional to do what they do best.

Gambit likes this.
  5. I can program for free. I also offer life time free support and upgrades. But my requirement is seeing profits up front. Demo profits are no use to me.

6. if its pf > 2, sharpe of 2 and avg trade of at least 10 ticks ill do it for free. oh yeah and must be flat eod

7. I can also throw in a 24/7 free server to host the auto trader. My deal is definitely better than the above guy. If he tries anything funny, I can add more stuff to the deal.

8. 1245

You are providing this service for a % of profits or a fee? What is a typical charge?

9. A % profit is fine. As for the precise %, how much profit in absolute terms are we looking at ?

10. 1245

I'm not looking for me. I'm looking to understand the process.I might have use for clients in the future. I was speaking more in general terms what a typical deal is. You can PM me if you don't want to broadcast an example from the past.

#10     Jan 11, 2015