What is your panty dropping bet to score HUGE when inflation comes?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Saltynuts, Feb 13, 2021.

1. I am convinced inflation is coming. And HARD. Like late 70s/early 80s type stuff, probably worse. If you believed same, and wanted to make as much possible money as you can on it, where would you put your money? I'm not talking short straddles here, these types of one-way bets are probably the only thing short straddles won't work for.

Gold seems an obvious choice, but I think some kind soul posted a chart the other day that was supposed to show that gold was NOT a good protection against inflation?

Other metals? Which ones?

Short bonds? But is it even guaranteed bond yields would necessarily go up if there was inflation - what if the Fed decided nevertheless to keep rates low to help flagging growth in the inflationary environment?

Real estate? Holding actual land versus MLPs (hate the K-1s) or other indirect real estate? Types?

Commodities? ETFs? Futures?

All open to ideas guys, lets ride this coming inflation into the night, scoring millions in the process!@!!! WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!!!!!

2. ph1l

ph1l

3. Thank you ph1l! So are those generally like inflation protected bond funds? If so, do they really work to protect against inflation? If so, do they just PROTECT you against inflation, or do they allow you to make a bunch of $$$ off it? I'd like protection, but I want FAT PROFITS even more!

Thanks!!!

4. ph1l

ph1l

They appear to protect against inflation with less volatility than stocks, but they won't have great returns.

https://www.thebalance.com/the-benefits-and-risks-of-tips-2466779
    For example, here is a 5-year comparison with SPY including dividends.
    https://www.barchart.com/etfs-funds/quotes/SCHP/interactive-chart
    upload_2021-2-13_11-22-21.png

5. My thoughts are probably not best expressed in this forum, it's a fundamental analysis: we'll get high inflation only if the demand outstrips supply, I am talking about goods and services. The US and certainly China still has massive surplus capacity to crank out way more goods than we all need and that's deflationary. If the trade war takes a step further and we cut off everything coming from China then yes I can see inflation in the horizon, I think at this point it'll take a war to get prices way high.

6. i think copper and oil will be the mainstream inflation bet among casual investors.

having a similar thought, i am really considering putting 20-30% of my portfolio in FCX, XOM, and similar.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    KCalhoun likes this.
  7. I can see the logic behind that but look at how fast the alternative energies are coming on-line these days. Copper depends a lot on China, how much they build and that's not a sure bet going forward. There is a housing surplus in China, they have overbuilt everything and the government tries to clamp down on GDP growth by construction, they see it as a very inefficient form of growth, so there is risk on betting on both.

8. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

FCX has been great, also following SLV if it continues to trade higher.... beyond FCX I don't know other copper tickers. Agree op re big inflation is on the way

9. smallfil

smallfil

No reason to change one's strategies. I will just switch to buying call options now to put options when stocks go down. Monies can be made both ways. The leverage should give you huge percentage returns in a short period of time. There is nothing out there that would give you those huge returns. Maybe, digital currency but, there is a lot of manipulation and misinformation out there with everyone chasing the same thing. Digital currency probably, too risk for most traders.

10. noddyboy

noddyboy

Obviously buy btc but there are so many bears that it will be hard for you to overcome the mental block.

#10     Feb 13, 2021
    johnarb likes this.