what is the best way to trade spread at ib?

Discussion in 'Options' started by emk662, Feb 24, 2020.

1. emk662

emk662

Interactive Brokers has a nice feature to allow you to enter the order for spread such as bull call/put. However, the commission is very high, often many times more than entering the leg individually. What is the best way to trade spread? Thanks.

2. guru

guru

I didn't notice that the commission is different for multi-leg orders vs trading each leg individually. I mean the commission is the same when you trade 2 legs individually, or together as a combo. Why do you think it is different?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  3. SanMiguel

SanMiguel

The commission is meant to be lower when using combos

4. taowave

taowave

I don't think IB rebates you if you supply liquidity on spreads. I was getting hit for 6 bucks per fly vs a flat 2.40 at TOS .

With that said, the reduction in commish comes at a price.

5. guru

guru

I'm just looking at my commissions for today, and:
    Single leg: between $0.73 and $1.09
    3-option combo: $1.53 total commission ($0.51 per option)
    4-option combo: between $2.1 to $2.56 total commission ($0.53 - $0.64 per option)
    5-option combo: between $0.55 & $1.84 total commission ($0.11 - $0.37 per option)
    6-option combo: $2.54 total commission ($0.42 per option)

Each combo may have different number of legs, for example a 3-leg combo may have 5 options in it.
    Either way, neither the number of legs or options matters, it's just all over the place, but averaged across many orders should come to less than $0.75 per option.
    Doesn't matter if traded as a single leg or as a combo.

6. emk662

emk662

I trade QQQ bull calls spread. The recent three trades commissions are 29.37, 54.09, and 35.86. 25 contracts each trade. So, average commssion is (29.37+54.09+35.86)/3/(25*2)=0.79.
    Single leg commission is usually below 0.4 as i use Prefer Rebate under Smart routing.
    Therefore, the combo commission is significantly higher.

7. taowave

taowave

are those numbers all in or plus clearing fees?

8. guru

guru

Then your original question or description was incorrect because you didn't mention rebates.
    Now it looks like your question is not even related to commissions, but to rebates.
    It's always best to provide specific examples vs throwing up some theoretical statements and make everyone else guess what you're looking at and look for examples that you didn't bother to provide.

9. emk662

emk662

Sorry I didn't say it clearly in the first place. My purpose is to reduce the commission of the combo trade, possibly to use comission rebate. Is there a way to do that?