What is Roll over in ES Futs and how to do it ?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by traderwald, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Hi guys,

what does it mean to roll over to the next contract in ES Futs ? What is the date on which this should be done and how to actually do it ?

Thank you

2. Rollover date is when the next contract becomes the most actively traded. Today is that day for the December contract in the ES. Your charts and trading DOM need to be changed to display "Dec" data instead of "Sep".

You roll over your Sep contracts by closing them out and opening new Dec ones. It's not required to do so today. There will be enough volume in both the Sep and Dec contracts for a few days, so make the change when convenient for you.

tommcginnis and traderwald like this.
  3. Thank you Scataphagos,

Is there a specific date for this or is it just based on the rule mentioned above when volume changes in the contracts for ES?

Also closing - does it mean selling ? Or is there some other type of closing ?

4. It's "the Thursday before the 3rd Friday of expiration month". If you're running a DOM, you'll notice the Bid/Ask columns showing much smaller positions in the expiring contract while increasing significantly in the later expiration contract. There's no urgency to switching over nor is there advantage to waiting.

Closing = selling. You're not really "rolling your existing contract"... you're closing/selling the current one and opening a new one in the later expiration month. Yes, generates commission... $$ for the brokers and exchanges, of course. :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  5. shatteredx likes this.
  6. rb7

rb7

Are you really trading futures and don't knowing what 'closing' means???
    Or you just trying to get educated?

Hoping it's the latter...

FYI, closing = selling when you have a long position, buying when you have a short position.

7. Of course... I could have stated both (I don't need your "FYI", you pedantic asshole), but I thought any reasonable (but not nit-picking snot) would "get it" and not make a point of it. Only a fool would think "closing a short" = selling.

(I think you owe me an apology. If not, I'm putting you on ignore.... I don't suffer fools gladly. PM is OK, if you want to save face.)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  8. rb7

rb7

Scat, If you read my post carefully you'll see that I was replying to the OP, (etrades) not to you.
    I'm not begging you to not put me on ignore. You do what you wanna to do.

Yours sincerely,
    Your beloved 'pendantic asshole'!!

9. Hmmm.... maybe I read it wrong and it's you who deserves an apology from me. If so, you got it. Gomen.

10. DeeGee

DeeGee

Why do they do this?

#10     Sep 14, 2018