What Is Reality Made of?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Feb 19, 2011.

1. What Is Reality?--The Leading Edge Scientific View of Reality

Author: Jason Randhawa

If you were to ask a group of scientists, “what is reality?” You would get some mixed answers. There are many scientific views of reality. Some are, in my opinion, very conservative and some would be termed very radical. In the following article, when I answer this question, “what is reality?” I will be using the more radical, leading-edge answers. So by no means will all scientists accept this scientific view of reality, even though it has been scientifically supported by quantum physics.

“What I thought was unreal now, for me, seems in some ways to be more real than what I think to be real, which seems now to be unreal.” -Fred Allan Wolf, Ph.D.

What Is Reality Made of?

The only thing that is solid about reality is your perception of it. Quantum physics has been very clear about this. For centuries, metaphysicians believed that nothing was real, except for thoughts and ideas, which they believed was what everything was made of. Finally, now, science is proving this. As Jeffrey Satinover, M.D., has said, “There is essentially nothing to matter whatsoever—it’s completely insubstantial. The most solid thing you could say about all this insubstantial matter is that it’s more like a thought; it’s like a concentrated bit of information.”

Quantum mechanics states that reality is only an absolute rock-solid existence when you are interacting with it. But, when you are not interacting with it, it becomes fuzzy. Therefore reality is both a rock-solid experience and a fuzzy, non-physical probability. This is very similar to the Wave-Particle Theory, which is basically; “When you are looking/measuring, “it” will be a particle of experience; when you are not looking/measuring, “it” will be a wave of possibility.”

You may be thinking how can reality be both. I believe that reality is really the broad range of non-physical possibilities. We have simply been trained to perceive the physical reality, which we are currently experiencing. Therefore when we are interacting with reality it becomes that which we have trained it to become. When we are not interacting with reality, it goes back to its real, natural state. Through your beliefs and ideas you have been trained to only perceive this. It has been scientifically proven that, as the observer, our beliefs and ideas affect the reality we experience.

The Role of the Observer

The bottom line of quantum physics is: We create the world we perceive. Whenever you open your eyes and look around, you are not seeing reality, you are only seeing what your human senses (taste, touch, smell, hearing, sight) are allowing you to see, through your belief system. Science has found out that you are aware of only 2000 bits of information out of the 400 Billion bits of information your brain is processing per second. Think about that for a moment…

Where does that other information go?

What is around you right now, that you are not aware of?

What are you not perceiving, that you could be?

Is everyone aware of the same 2000 bits of information, or do we each perceive a slightly different reality?

The role of the observer becomes very important in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This scientifically proven principle states that the conscious act of observation is a key factor in the formation of our reality. When you observe something, you affect it. Everyday, you are affecting your reality. Although, you don’t really change reality, since reality is absolute. Instead you change how you perceive reality.

As Fred Allan Wolf, Ph.D. says in his book, Dr. Quantum's Little Book of Big Ideas, “Reality is not just the physical world; it’s the relationship of the mind with the physical world that creates the perception of reality. There is no reality without a perception of reality.”

This All Sounds Good, but What Should I Do About This?

This question was best answered by the brilliant quantum physicst, Amit Goswami, Ph.D. when he said,

“Instead of thinking of thing as things—we all have a habit of thinking that everything around us is already a thing, existing without my input, without my choice. You have to banish that kind of thinking. Instead, you really have to recognize that even the material world around us; the chairs, the tables, the carpet—camera included—all of these are nothing but possible movements of consciousness. And I am choosing, moment-to-moment, out of those movements, to bring my actual experience into manifestation. This is the only radical thinking you need to do. But it is so radical; it is so difficult because our tendency is that the world is already out there, independent of my experience. It is not. Quantum physics has been so clear about it. Heisenberg (1901-1976), himself, core discoverer of quantum physics, said atoms are not things, they’re only tendencies, so instead of things, you have to think possiblities. They’re all possiblities of consciousness.”

By now you should have a good idea of what reality is, as defined by quantum physics. But, you may be wondering what the importance of knowing this is. And I will leave you with the answer: Who we are? Where we come from? What is possible? and almost every other question is based on what we think is real.

Think about that for a while, and when your ready for more, I'll be right here.

2. Whatever your brain tells you.

3. Try explaining reality to kids or ask kids what is reality.

Have a nice vacation, you'll understand reality pronto quick when you come back home.

When loves ends, reality will hit your eye like a big pizza pie.

4. The Foundational Questions Institute is curerntly having an essay contest about the nature of reality in the context of analog vs. digital. I read a few essays the other day that were listed as the most popular:

http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/846

http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/867

http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/821

They are all very good in explaining the basic foundational questions. I liked the first one a lot because it included an explanation of relativity theory and how it differs from classical theories. I also liked the algorithmic/complexity approach of the other two.

Fascinating subject. I think we have a long way to go before we understand what reality is made off.