What is a good percentage annual return for a day trader?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mrmarket, Dec 1, 2003.

1. excellent work, gabriel. Trying to reason with someone who eats up reason and spits it out as spam. I guess it takes a monkey to feed a monkey.

Why not take the French high road, and turn the other cheek?

#41     Dec 2, 2003
  2. Enough to buy four pounds of sirloin and ONE TON of brie!

I don't think there is an industry standard. But the worst daytrader blows out in two weeks and there are legions of them. The best daytrader I ever saw was deploying about 1 mil at 2-1, and he was netting 1 mil per month profits in 1999. He had exquisite poise and incorruptible discipline; his timing was impeccable. Best of all, he utilized common and simple strategies. He was private, trading his own account.

#42     Dec 2, 2003

3. Actually, mrmarket, your question is not a fair one. Either that or it is too vague. As a previous poster to this thread had alluded, you have to factor in the risk to qualify the return (as you very well know). Day trading can be done aggressively or it can be conducted rather risk aversely. So, in asking how many sandwiches one is able to retrieve from the market, you must also ask whether the retriever had to risk getting bitten by a mosquito or by a lion. But you know this already, so why ask?

Nevertheless, I will answer your question with the same clarity that you asked it: the more the better, all else being equal, of course. :D

Regards,

Thunderdog

#43     Dec 2, 2003
  4. So he made 12 million with 1 million of original capital?

#44     Dec 2, 2003
  5. How about if I ask the question this way?

If I had $8,964,338 of investment capital on January 1, 2003 and through my daytrading/investing had $25,817,293 on December 2, 2003, would that be considered a good annual performance?

#45     Dec 2, 2003
  6. Somewhere between never enough and WAY too much. :)

#46     Dec 2, 2003
  7. Mr. M its me again. You say your not a daytrader and it only takes you a couple of hours a week to work on your trading system. You also state proudly you have an MBA from Wharton. With these 2 facts I can assume you're working and at your age I can further assume your in upper mgmt at some corporation by now. Let me ask you this:

Does your company know that you spend a great deal of time during business hours checking out and posting to a site like Elite Trader? If I were your boss I would fire someone who was wasting company resources and time by being unproductive when they are being paid as a professional to handle other responsibilities.

Just a friendly thought from your friend ChartingMarkets.

P.S. just so you know I trade for myself and my job is to waste time on a site like ET. My business my rules.

#47     Dec 2, 2003

8. Oh, you are so HUGE, mrmarket! A hunk a hunk a burnin love!

#48     Dec 2, 2003
  9. You asked for it monkey, so you got what you deserved. And you're suppose to be a moderator? What was your point today? To show how you could trip up mr. market, while no one else could?

#49     Dec 2, 2003
  10. keep it up sony. :D you are making gordy look good:D :D

#50     Dec 2, 2003