What I'll Need When I Get a Profitable Strategy

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Joe Doaks, Dec 1, 2011.

1. I spend a lot of my time doing algorithm and code development of trading strategies for eternally hopeful clients. I try to avoid making trading psych comments (not good for business), but sometimes it's hard. Like when they ask me to do a little infrastructure work for them:

"Joe, help me compare internet providers to get a faster connection. I'll need it when I have a profitable strategy."

"Joe, help me select a blazing fast multiply-threaded computer. I'll need it when I have a profitable strategy."

"Joe, help me find a really comfortable ergonomic work station. I'll need it when I have a profitable strategy."

"Joe, help me compare brokers to find the one with the lowest latency. I'll need it when I have a profitable strategy."

"Joe, come with me to pick out a backup generator. I'll need it when I have a profitable strategy."

"Joe, help me set up a redundant internet connection. I'll need it when I have a profitable strategy."

"Joe, help me set up multiple screens. I'll need it when I have a profitable strategy."

"Joe, help me select connection monitoring software. I'll need it when I have a profitable strategy."

"Joe, help me find the broker with the lowest commissions. I'll need it when I have a profitable strategy."

You can guess what I screamed at the last client who said that. And why I never let them see my computer setup.

2. You told them they needed to get their priorities in order...and then gave them the link to NewEgg so they could take advantage of the "6 monitors for the price of 5 deal?" :)

3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

the thing is they will discover that anything within their control will only self doom them. because ------ things are different now. what used to be an advantage being on the floor became obsolete and then came off floor but up in the building advantage with fiber optics. but don't recall ever that off floor in my house or place of business having a edge which would last unless you were doing some long term buy it forget it type trading. m