What else is there than price and time to analyze?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Howard, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Howard

Howard

Hi,

For a given market, let's say one of the U.S index futures. What data do we have at our disposal for analyzing such a market intraday?

1. Price and time.
    2. Volume.
    3. Time & Sales
    4. Compiled data (day range, time of high/low during the day, etc.)
    5. Indicators such as NYSE TICK, Advance/Decline, TRIN, etc.

There might also be sentiment indicators and also seasonality perhaps, but not sure what the value could be for intraday trading.

Have I forgotten anything?

PS: The usefulness of each is another discussion. Just trying to figure out if there might be something I have forgotten to look at.

Thanks in advance!

murray t turtle and TheTrue1 like this.
  2. wintergasp

wintergasp

Some say macro data can give you a medium-term / long-term view ( NFP, CPIs, etc. )

The sentiment of traders on twitter regarding a particular stock is also part of a signal index you can rent for a few bucks a month.

3. algofy

algofy

How much to rent the girl in your profile post ?!?!?

MoneyMatthew likes this.
  4. zdreg

zdreg

5. wartrace

wartrace

Volume at price (Volume profile) is useful. Depending on your trading timeframe the DOM is very useful particularly the three to four levels closest to price. Keeping track of the pulling/stacking of orders can give you an idea of the very short term direction.

BONECRUSHER and Howard like this.
  6. speedo

speedo

The trader..

7. volatility

wrbtrader likes this.
  8. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

This is contained within price.

9. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Yeah... you've forgotten the KISS principle... Keep It Simple Stupid.

Throwing more data, indicators and other trash on your screen is not necessarily going to increase your "win" percentage.

Infact, I'd almost going far as a bet that more data is going to do you more harm than good because you will end up with cognitive bias and inductive reasoning systematic errors ... or, in simpler terms, the more data you throw on your screen, the greater the chance of your looking for what you want to see rather than what you are seeing. This sort of thing happens subconsciously without you knowing it, its a natural human tendency to fall for things live confirmation bias.

So I would say to you, forget about "something I have forgotten to look at", and pick two or three factors, and focus on becoming an "expert" on interpreting them. Otherwise you'll simply end up being a "jack of all trades, master of none" if you throw a large amount of rubbish on your screen.

10. algofy

algofy

Yes and no...depends on the timeframe.

#10     Mar 19, 2017