What do you consider a good yearly return? (In percent)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trade5656, Apr 16, 2017.

1. What do you consider a decent yearly profit if we assume a trader/investor is pretty conservative and doesnt use huge leverage and tries to avoid big risks?

2. This is Elite(retail/small time)Trader...that kind of goes w/o say that we are aggressive for money or % returns.
    And if you're not like that -- you shouldn't be here. just in my opinion.

But to answer your question...I would consider 10% a decent yearly profit for the conservative investor. Just saying 'conservative investor' makes my dick limp :confused: :p

SigmaX, Muffhands and Pension_Admin like this.
  3. Okay, thanks gor your reply

What would you consider a good return for active trader then?

4. 1000000000000000% Why not?

Muffhands likes this.
  5. m22au

m22au

10%

Muffhands and bashatrader like this.
  6. comagnum

comagnum

What do you consider a decent yearly profit if we assume a trader/investor is pretty conservative and doesnt use huge leverage and tries to avoid big risks?

For equities & ETFs 20-25%
    For futures & forex 35%

I would not be wasting my time trading if this was not realistic & sustainable over the long haul. People with smaller accounts trading more aggressively while taking on more risk obviously have a lot more up & down side in terms of percentages.

One year you may be close to flat, the next year you may up by a hair, and the third year you may be up 90% - hence, the distributions are not linear - at least for swing traders anyway.

lovethetrade likes this.
  7. wintergasp

wintergasp

A Sharpe of 1 over the long term net of 2 and 20 is very very very good, e.g. Most multi billion dollar funds are between 0.6 and 0.8

Your percent amount is subjective, anything with a Sharpe of 1 will make you 10pc per year with drawdown of 8pc every 7 years... Or 30pc a year with dd of 24pc every 7 years, the leverage you use is really subjective

KCOJ and aex like this.
  8. toc

toc

anything that beat S&P500 or index "Buy and Hold" after all fees and short term taxes (unless in a taxfree account or scheme).

Generally 15% gross would get you there.

murray t turtle and Muffhands like this.
  9. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

If the strategy is correlated to the market, better than the S&P 500 or a little lower but with less volatility.
    If non-correlated, 6% to 12%.

10. algofy

algofy

% return isn't an apples to apples comparison across different account sizes.

#10     Apr 16, 2017