What are the "velocity based" technical tools?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Saltynuts, Mar 22, 2018.

1. I'm no trader, but recently I've been trying to pick entry points that I might use to buy in. I'm doing pretty good (in my head at least). All I think I'm really looking at is what might be thought of as "velocity" - the market is going down very fast. But then it slows down greatly. At these points it seems more often than not there is a pullback/new rush up.

So my question - are there any technical indicators that are based on "velocity" or price move metrics?

Thanks!

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Xela

Xela

This, specifically, might interest you: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/pricerateofchange.asp

And in general, looking at "divergences" between the peaks and troughs of "momentum indicators" and the high/low swings of the price might also help you.

(Also, be aware that many websites/courses/books use the terms "velocity indicators" and "momentum indicators" more or less interchangeably.)

murray t turtle, Handle123 and speedo like this.
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

What are the particular price/market mechanics that you're observing?

Can you come up with (pre-)conditions that spell a reverse of direction?

What indicators utilize the mechanics of what you're seeing/describing?

(Having found some candidates...) What indicators seem to mimic your choices of entry or exit?

(And the biggie!) Can you tune those indicators to improve their percentage of profitable entry/exit points?

Lots of screen-time ahead -- get you some Saltynuts A.S.A.P.
    (And a sweet B-Complex.)

vanzandt and speedo like this.
  4. I wouldn't put too much weight or a truly strong emphasis on trading indicators and other systems and formulas that primarily look at the past somewhat Blindly and Squarely.

Try to have a more present and forward and future-looking trading viewpoint and ideology and methodology and horizon.
    Along with somewhat of a rational, logical, yet open-minded, calm reasoning behind your directional or semi-directional conviction case.

Past/present/future...33.33%/33.33/33.33 considerations in a simple, ideal world.
    But that ratio can vary every waking moment in the market, or day, or chart.

I hope that explanation clearly clears everything up for you -- and you become a millionaire in the market.
    It's 2018...Make Trading and Your Life Great Again...High-Five` o_O

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  5. henry76

henry76

clear as mud

6. Handle123

Handle123

Since you started the post, good at programming? I made new indicator today based on your question, did have to add missing link but pretty decent. Thank you

7. I wish Handle123, no good with programming. But heck, is it something you can send to me? Would love to try it.

Thanks for link Xela, will check it out!

8. %%
    I'm NOT a mind reader +Ela Young,LOL but that's what i was thinking.What?? Momentum =price speedometer + gets one out of a trend waaaay too early!!:cool::cool:[Delayed slow edit, saltyN, you are welcome] Murray t turtle