What are the most popular high volume stocks for day trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by luv2glyd, Apr 21, 2011.

1. luv2glyd

luv2glyd

What are some of the more popular stocks with good volume and tight spread for day trading, such as AAPL, RIMM, CSCO, GOOG, etc... Looking for a list of 20 to 30 so I can find a fovorite 8 to 12.

Thank you

2. Surprised nobody answered such a simple and easy request:

Nasdaq:

CSCO
    QQQ
    INTC
    MSFT
    SIRI
    MU
    LVLT
    NVDA
    ORCL
    YHOO

Listed:

C
    SPY
    BAC
    F
    EEM
    XLF
    S
    GE
    IWM
    EWJ
    PFE

3. CSCO for day trading? Are you kidding???

This is not year 2000!

It seems grass grows faster than CSCO going up 5 cents. Exactly how do you "day" trade it?

Even RIMM has fallen off the radar for many. It used to be good when it went to $300. Then they needed to 3-to-1 split. Everything went downhill in volatility.

Try NFLX. That thing choke up and down $1 in less than 5 minutes.

4. POT & BIDU can see some good moves during the day.

5. C has a 7 cent range today. SEVEN cents!

Exactly how do you day trade C? Or are you collecting rebate. Please specify your definition of "day trading".

6. I daytrade 5 days a week. Most of the stocks you mentioned are on my banned list. Banned because they are garbage.

7. Rob227

Rob227

Why are the stocks you listed banned and what do you suggest trading?

8. As was already said, I thought I went back in time (1998?) after reading the list.

Here is how I compute my weekly scan list:

a) Price > 20.00 (and if you prefer < 90.00)
    b) Volume > 1,000,000
    c) ATR > 1.00 (or the simple Range > 1.00)
    d) NYSE, NASDAQ, & AMEX

For this week, I have around 200 symbols. After running my signal scans on the list, I will produce a focus list of 10 to 20 stocks for the next morning.

A,AAPL,ABFS,ABX,ACI,ADS,ADSK,ADTN,AEM,AG,AGCO,AGN,AGQ,ALB,ALV,ALXN,AMGN,AMP,AMZN,ANF,ANR,APA,APC,APH,APKT,ARUN,ATI,BBBY,BC,BEXP,BHI,BHP,BIDU,BIIB,BTU,BVN,BWA,CAM,CAT,CB,CBE,CBG,CCK,CDE,CE,CENX,CF,CLF,CMI,CNQ,COF,COH,COP,CREE,CRK,CRM,CTAS,CTRP,CTSH,CTXS,CVE,CVX,CYH,CYMI,CYOU,DANG,DBP,DD,DE,DHR,DO,DOV,DTO,DV,DVN,EDC,EMN,EQR,ERX,ESI,ESV,ETN,EW,FCX,FDX,FFIV,FST,FTI,FTO,GDX,GDXJ,GG,GLD,GOOG,GPOR,GR,GS,HAL,HAS,HES,HOT,IBM,IL,ILMN,INFA,IWO,JCI,KMB,LFT,LLL,LRCX,LTD,LXK,LYB,MAN,MAR,MCP,MDY,MEE,MMM,MON,MOS,MRO,NE,NEM,NFLX,NFX,NKE,NLSN,NOG,NOV,NTAP,NTES,OAS,OIH,OMC,OPEN,OVTI,OXY,PAAS,PANL,PAY,PCAR,PLCM,POT,PSLV,PX,QEP,QIHU,RAX,RES,RIG,RIO,RRC,RVBD,SCCO,SCO,SHW,SIL,SINA,SIVB,SIVR,SLB,SLH,SLV,SLW,SNDK,SODA,SOHU,SPG,SSRI,SU,TCK,TKR,TNA,TPX,TROW,TRW,TSCO,TWC,TWTC,TZOO,UAL,UCO,UNH,UNP,UPL,UPS,UTEK,UTIW,VAR,VECO,VFC,VHC,VMW,VNO,VRTX,VRUS,WFMI,WLL,WLT,WYNN,XLE,XME,YOKU,YUM

Note: Daytrading requires price movement, thus the ATR/Range criteria.

9. Well like I said, they're garbage. Let me expand........

There are so many algos playing in there. The movement is more often than not, simply random. There's very little predictability in something that is so random.

I suggest trading things that actually move with the market or a certain sector. Stocks in play are good as well. In earnings season (read: right now) there's different stuff to play everyday.

Stuff that moves with lower volume is good too. Think YOKU, SINA, SOHU, lately AMRN, REE. Tomorrow look for NFLX, ESRX, VECO.

P.S. the above post has a terrific list.

10. The OP asked for a list of stocks that have tight spreads and high volume. He did not ask for volatile stocks, illiquid stocks, stocks that other members on this site trade or those symbols that are traded using a different technique or method. I provided him with a list of stocks that offer just that: tight spreads and high volume.

#10     Apr 26, 2011