Well Zzz, what do you have to say now?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Like Bobby Deniro once said "wasted talent."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...-dolphins-williamssuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

NFL suspends Ricky Williams for 2006 season

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
    April 25, 2006

MIAMI (AP) -- Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams was suspended for the 2006 season by the NFL on Tuesday for violating the league's substance abuse policy for the fourth time.

The league announced the suspension after Williams' appeal of his latest positive drug test was denied. Williams met with NFL counsel Jeff Pash on April 10 in an attempt to have the league overturn the test.

"I'm disappointed with the decision, but I respect it," Williams said in a statement released by the team. "I'm proud of my association with the National Football League and look forward to returning to the Dolphins in 2007."

Williams' previous positive tests were for marijuana, which he acknowledged using. The latest test apparently involved a drug other than marijuana.

Williams had been participating in the offseason training program at the Dolphins' complex and was there working out shortly before the league announced its decision.

The 1998 Heisman Trophy winner at Texas and 2002 NFL rushing champion, Williams retired and sat out the 2004 season, then returned last year to play for new Miami coach Nick Saban.

Williams served a four-game suspension at the start of the 2005 season for his third violation of the drug program, then ran for 743 yards and averaged 4.4 yards a carry while sharing playing time with rookie Ronnie Brown.

News that Williams had failed another drug test surfaced in February, while he was in India studying yoga and holistic medicine.

Saban repeatedly has praised Williams' conduct and performance last season and supported him in the appeal process.

"This is a league decision, and we are disappointed in what it means for Ricky and the team," Saban said in a statement. "Ricky did an outstanding job for the Dolphins, not only as a player but also what he added as a person to the team's chemistry and to our overall success."

Attorney David Cornwell represented Williams in his appeal.

"We raised substantial and legitimate issues arising out of the application of the NFL's policy and program for substances of abuse," Cornwell said in a statement. He urged the players' union and ownership to "review the issues we raised on the appeal ... and restore the original intention of the NFL's policy to put equal focus on helping NFL players as is put on testing and suspending them."

The suspension represents a financial blow for Williams, who owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he retired in 2004. His return last season was motivated partly by the need for a paycheck, and that may be a motivation for him to return in 2007.

It's possible the suspension could mean the end of the mercurial running back's career. If he does try to return next year, he'll be 30 years old and will have played a total of 12 games in the previous three seasons.

"Ricky is obviously disappointed," said his agent, Leigh Steinberg. "He'll need to work hard to get back to the league in 2007."

2. I would say El Cubano is crying in his beer....