weekly options

Discussion in 'Options' started by met1989, Mar 27, 2019.

1. met1989

met1989

why is it that they say that you need to be a more experienced trader to trade the weekly options then the monthly or quartelry are they more difficult?

2. IMHO: Higher gamma == more likely to rip your head off! -- aka, not as docile as the longer terms (general statement, actual depends on what you are specifically doing)

3. met1989

met1989

who knows what im doing ?

4. smallfil

smallfil

Options are a wasting asset. If you trade the weekly, you could only have 5-6 days for your trade to work out. On top of that, time decay works faster when an option is about to expire. I am an experienced directional options trader but, I would not bother with the weekly options because the risks are much, much higher! I need time on my side for my trades to work out!

5. met1989

met1989

Thanks what would you say as a trader if I’m back testing a stragety for 2/3 years back and it’s works would u try it on real ?

6. Back to original post... Is your reference to "weekly options" meant to reference DTE restriction or the classification of "weekly" , such as SPX Weeklies? (We assumed you meant the former) If the latter, then the weeklies typically have less liquidity, which may be acceptable to your trading requirements. Pic below shows a couple weekly series with > 100 DTE for example.
    upload_2019-3-27_11-36-38.png

7. smallfil

smallfil

Don't know what strategies you employ. Probably, not. I have my own trading method that I use and my own trading plan which I employ. I always believed the trader should create his own trading method and adapt it to his personality and risk management. And if you have been backtesting your own method, why have you not traded it for real? That is the only way you will find out if it holds up in real trading or not.