We Need School Security - Not Gun Control

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Dec 19, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

And a majority favor the repeal of ObamaCare.

It seems neither are going to happen.

According to many court rulings, the majority cannot infringe upon the Constitutional rights of others. Although liberals are very good at circumventing that long standing rule of law.

#51     Dec 19, 2012
  2. A ban on assault weapons was ruled constitutional in 1994. It expired in 2004. I don't think it's unrealistic for it to be reinstated.

#52     Dec 19, 2012
  3. Where my kids go to school you have to pass through a metal detector in a lobby area. But you're still not inside the school. Someone on the other side of a door watching a CCTV screen has to buzz you through to get out of the lobby area into the school itself.

Just having a metal detector isn't enough. It is only effective if it's a part of a total security plan.

#53     Dec 19, 2012
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Laws keep changin'.
    Why I can remember way back when marijuana was against the law in Colorado.

#54     Dec 19, 2012
  5. pspr

pspr

I don't recall if the Supreme court rulled on that assertion or not. But, like I've said in other threads, this won't even become law with a Republican House majority.

Just like repeal of ObamaCare won't happen with a Senate majority and an Obama presidency.

UPDATE: It seems you are wrong about a Supreme Court ruling having been made on the Constitutionality of an Assault weapons ban.

The federal courts have not given much previous guidance on whether a federal assault weapons ban would pass Second Amendment muster...

http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/EMorgan1.html

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under...nted-to-ban-assault-weapons-could-131451.html

#55     Dec 19, 2012
  6. achilles28

achilles28

I think it's completely realistic for teachers - who are citizens - to be trained on the use of a firearm. Tens of millions of Americans are.

Also, I think it's completely reasonable to encourage ownership of assault rifles. You may not like, but so what?

#56     Dec 19, 2012
  7. BSAM

BSAM

I'm for letting those teachers who desire to carry to be allowed to do so.
    I wouldn't be in favor of forcing them to do so.

#57     Dec 19, 2012
  8. The guy was wearing body amour and had an AR-15. These teachers would have been no match for him with a handgun. Don't think for a second that they would have stopped him. Remember the shooting at the Empire State Building? 9 civilians got injured bringing down that nut.

#58     Dec 19, 2012
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

Why? I mean, what is it you think it would accomplish?

#59     Dec 19, 2012
  10. It would make him feel morally superior.

#60     Dec 19, 2012