Volume? as a criteria

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by John9999, Aug 17, 2018.

1. John9999

John9999

VOLUME: is anyone using a volume threshold for entry decisions on NQ Mini Futures? I am using a rate of 5000 CT's per 5 minute bar..this keeps me out of trades that go nowhere..

2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Unless you're trading institutional size, you'd do better with an ATR for a Go/No-Go, and use the trades/minute to tell you {roughly} how long your {fresh} order will camp at a strike before the market chews through those in front. [So, with 1600 on the Ask, and 1000 on the trades/minute, you'll have to have the market hitting the ask for ~2 minutes before your fresh SELL gets hit.

FWIW, there is a difference between volume/minute and trades/minute -- not just the obvious content, but I found trades/minute to be a better predictor of 'staying time' til my order got hit. Don't know why; just was. (And, may not [still] be.]

ElectricSavant likes this.
  3. I gotta' print this out for a later time when I can understand it...

ES

4. "...5000 CT's per 5 minute bar."

How can you be using both "contracts/bar" and "minutes" in the same 5-minute bar. Isn't it one or the other?

5. TraderEX

TraderEX

Yes I use volume n the ES. I stay away from slow moving 5 minute candles as well. Slows can reverse on a dime. More difficult to reverse when trending strong. Took me while to figure what was the least volume I would trade on. Found out that the limit orders at any price level are executed at a ratio limit order/ existing volume all in 5 minute candle.

Say 250 are buy stops and the first minute has 250 contracts. Going to take you 1 minutes to fill if you are last in the cue. If the first minute of the candle is 1000 contracts you should fill in 15 seconds. If the first minute is 2500 contracts the you should fill in six seconds.
    fast moving candles are far easy to be right in. A market can change in a minute way more than it can change in 6 seconds.
    My winners are usually average around two minutes. After 4 or 5 I'm usually a goner. ES only experience I have.

6. TraderEX

TraderEX

www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/traderex-es-e-mini-one-tick-warriors-unite-tradovate.323648/page-36#post-4736080 check #347 it works for me

7. TraderEX

TraderEX

8. destriero

destriero

9. TraderEX

TraderEX

Volume? as a criteria
    Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by John9999, Aug 17, 2018.

1. [​IMG]
      John9999VOLUME: is anyone using a volume threshold for entry decisions on NQ Mini Futures? I am using a rate of 5000 CT's per 5 minute bar..this keeps me out of trades that go nowhere..

#1 Aug 17, 2018

2. [​IMG]
      tommcginnisUnless you're trading institutional size, you'd do better with an ATR for a Go/No-Go, and use the trades/minute to tell you {roughly} how long your {fresh} order will camp at a strike before the market chews through those in front. [So, with 1600 on the Ask, and 1000 on the trades/minute, you'll have to have the market hitting the ask for ~2 minutes before your fresh SELL gets hit.

FWIW, there is a difference between volume/minute and trades/minute -- not just the obvious content, but I found trades/minute to be a better predictor of 'staying time' til my order got hit. Don't know why; just was. (And, may not [still] be.]

#2 Aug 17, 2018

ElectricSavant likes this.
    3. [​IMG]
      ElectricSavantI gotta' print this out for a later time when I can understand it...

ES

Unless you're trading institutional size, you'd do better with an ATR for a Go/No-Go, and use the trades/minute to tell you {roughly} how long your {fresh} order will camp at a strike before the market chews through those in front. [So, with 1600 on the Ask, and 1000 on the trades/minute, you'll have to have the market hitting the ask for ~2 minutes before your fresh SELL gets hit.

#3 Aug 17, 2018

4. [​IMG]
      ScataphagosVOLUME: is anyone using a volume threshold for entry decisions on NQ Mini Futures? I am using a rate of 5000 CT's per 5 minute bar..this keeps me out of trades that go nowhere.."...5000 CT's per 5 minute bar."

How can you be using both "contracts/bar" and "minutes" in the same 5-minute bar. Isn't it one or the other?

#4 Aug 18, 2018

5. [​IMG]
      TraderEXYes I use volume n the ES. I stay away from slow moving 5 minute candles as well. Slows can reverse on a dime. More difficult to reverse when trending strong. Took me while to figure what was the least volume I would trade on. Found out that the limit orders at any price level are executed at a ratio limit order/ existing volume all in 5 minute candle.

Say 250 are buy stops and the first minute has 250 contracts. Going to take you 1 minutes to fill if you are last in the cue. If the first minute of the candle is 1000 contracts you should fill in 15 seconds. If the first minute is 2500 contracts the you should fill in six seconds.
      fast moving candles are far easy to be right in. A market can change in a minute way more than it can change in 6 seconds.
      My winners are usually average around two minutes. After 4 or 5 I'm usually a goner. ES only experience I have.

#5 Sep 1, 2018

6. [​IMG]
      TraderEXYes I use volume n the ES. I stay away from slow moving 5 minute candles as well. Slows can reverse on a dime. More difficult to reverse when trending strong. Took me while to figure what was the least volume I would trade on. Found out that the limit orders at any price level are executed at a ratio limit order/ existing volume all in 5 minute candle.

More...
      www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/traderex-es-e-mini-one-tick-warriors-unite-tradovate.323648/page-36#post-4736080 check #347 it works for me

#6 Yesterday at 8:59 AM

7. [​IMG]
      TraderEXTraderEX-Learn from a profitable One Tic ES Scalper-CME-Tradovate-GRATIS; ALWAYS come and join us if you want volume entry

#7 Yesterday at 9:01 AM

8. [​IMG]
      destriero@TraderEX was using aliases to blow-himself on his thread: https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/traderex-sockpuppets.325437/

You should delete the last message provoking and non contributory I will be using all of this to settle the mater once and for all. looking forward to the meet and greet.