video card problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lakeside trader, Oct 29, 2006.

1. One video card (ATI chip) started acting up a few weeks ago , a few stale pixels here and there at startup or when moving objects on the screen . Now about half of the pixels are blue and it stays that way. This card was installed new less than 2 years ago, is it dead?

2. Tums

Tums

looks more like a LCD problem than the card problem.

3. nkhoi

nkhoi

could be either card or monitor, borrow a good card, replace with current card to see if probl go away.

4. opened the case and pushed the card into the slot a bit, there was 2-3 mm play . The screen looked OK at startup but the dead pixels are coming back slowly. This is n't a monitor problem I tried
    several monitors.

5. could it be a driver problem ? the dead pixels now show when I click on the screen #2 next to the monitor (but not by clicking on the 3d screen on the other side), when I mouse over to the problem monitor/card the pixels disappear.

6. it also seems better if I leave an inch space between the 2 aforementioned monitors. I noticed problems when appliances get too close to each other near those monitors. Could that be the problem ?

7. nkhoi

nkhoi

is this a quad card? how many monitors do you have on this card.?

8. one monitor on each card, 3 cards

9. nkhoi

nkhoi

unhook 2 monitors so you can work with one at a time, somebody also mention speaker interferent so you might also try to move speaker away, I also had card gone bad in less than 2 years so that is not rule out either.

10. Tums

Tums

then you can plug your "bad" monitor into a "good" card to see if it was the monitor or the cards that was giving you the problem.

#10     Oct 29, 2006