USPS considering cutting 120,000 JOBS!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Aug 11, 2011.

1. piezoe

piezoe

I agree so long as there is free competition. My main point was that there has apparently been congressional interference with post office operation, so one does not know how efficient, or inefficient, the post office might have been without said interference.

#31     Jan 25, 2012
  2. zdreg

zdreg

you are determined to miss the point. the post office should not be in the business of doing what the private sector is capable of doing.

#32     Jan 25, 2012
  3. 0verbyte

0verbyte

ever since the postal reorganization act of 1970 the post office has been an independent agency. independent except for the fact that congress would pilfer the postal services revenues whenever congress couldnt find money for its shit.

also, the private sector cannot do what the postal service does. infact, FedEx, & UPS both rely on the post office for delivery in many rural & suburban regions of america.

finally, the postal service is necessary for national defense. in a crisis, however unlikely, the postal service is the most advanced network of communications. in an age of cyberwarfare, tactical nuclear weapons & energy crises the us government & people need a backup system to keep the country in communication.

i think many people don't realize how fragile this internet/email system is.

#33     Jan 26, 2012
  4. Arnie

Arnie

From the OP:

Congressional approval would be needed for either step, and both could be expected to face severe opposition from postal unions which have contracts that ban layoffs.

All you need to know

#34     Jan 26, 2012
  5. Good advise sir.
    This post qualifies as a trading post for me too. :)

#35     Jan 26, 2012
  6. The problem with the USPS is the same as GM and other union run outfits. Cadillac retirement and health benefit outlays. The govt wants USPS to be run like a private company operating under govt rules forced to provide unprofitable services. If the USPS was operated like Fedex or UPS, vast areas of rural American farmers will lose all mail services.

#36     Jan 26, 2012
  7. Illum

Illum

Used to feel the consensus view here. Who needs the post office. Everything i get shipped now is automatically ups on most online vendors. I'm not a fan anymore of the brown van, after ups has left opened boxes. Blatantly open. Pissed off, I googled it, and I'm not alone. They even feel like it's their right. Has never happened to me with usps.

As far as losing money.... Correct me if I'm wrong...I think all government loses money... All of it. None of it makes money, it all takes. I don't see usps as a business anymore than the epa. How much money did the epa make this year? Good year?

#37     Jan 26, 2012