USPS considering cutting 120,000 JOBS!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Aug 11, 2011.

1. bone

bone

I have noticed that all of your posts are political in nature - in fact, I could not find anything in your posting history related to trading.

#21     Aug 14, 2011
  2. LAst time we were attacked was 1941. Ever since then it was the US attacking.
    I did not say eliminate the military, just eliminate 80% of bases around the world and cut the budget to 100 billion. Make army draft based (like it was in the good old days) and use the saving to pay down the debt or shore up social security.

As for not posting "about trading". I was not aware that this particular threat was about trading. However since you insist here it goes:
    1. Always have a stop.
    2. take 50% of your profits at 2 points (ES) and let the rest work.
    3. Protect your $$$, once the first half is taken move stop to +1/4.
    5. Trade between 9:00 and 11:30 and 1:00 and 3:30.
    The above 5 points contain more real trading help than 100's of posts on ET. Hope it satisfied you.

Now go chew someone else's BONE! LOL

#22     Aug 15, 2011
  3. Please explain WTF is so horrendous about the USPS. We are not in the 1970s anymore.

As for the "pros" aka UPS and Fedex, they are quite expensive and are often more unreliable.

I ship product on the regular via USPS and have not had ANY problems with them in years.

#23     Aug 15, 2011
  4. What happened BONE? Run out of arguments or real discussion with facts is just above your pay grade? LOL

#24     Aug 19, 2011
  5. bone

bone

It would be nice to get presented with a coherent and logical arguement before providing said rebuttal, kind Sir.

#25     Aug 19, 2011
  6. S2007S

S2007S

US Post Office Needs to Cut 260,000 Jobs: Rep. Issa
    Published: Tuesday, 24 Jan 2012 | 9:24 AM ET
    Text Size
    By: Jeff Cox
    CNBC.com Senior Writer

The U.S. Postal Service needs to slash 260,000 jobs and end weekend delivery if it is to climb out of its "financially insolvent" condition, Rep. Darrell Issa said.

Despite a mandate to avoid deficits, the post office loses up to $15 billion a year, Issa told CNBC during an informal gathering of senior House Oversight and Government Reform Committee members.

"It's a combination of delivering what people want at a price they're willing to pay," the California Republican said. "We've restricted what the post office can charge for various classes of mail. But the biggest challenge is there are about 660,000 workers at the post office. In the private sector there would be about 400,000."

Though Issa's numbers are likely on the high side — the most recent official estimates from the postal service put the total employees at 574,000 — reducing the size of the workforce and consolidating operations has been a priority.

Figuring out where the waste lies and streamlining operations are assignments for those who oversee the service, which receives no taxpayer funding despite being supervised by the government.

"It's not a debate about whether we need to get to that number. It's about how we get there," Issa said. "Do we get there by inducing retirements and finding ways to trim that workforce? Or do we wait for people to retire from an organization that has three fulltime employees that are 98 years old, literally."

Issa recalled that when he was a boy the post office delivered mail seven days a week and twice from Monday through Friday — though Sunday deliveries have been a rarity since 1912 and twice-daily deliveries were phased out completely by 1990.

In the digital era and its lightning-fast transactions done through e-mail and other avenues, such an ambitious postal service is no longer necessary, he said.

Issa specifically called for the streamlining of the service's 461 processing centers, half of which he would close.

"We have a problem that the post office can't seem to shrink on its own fast enough," Issa said. "Today we're in an Internet age in which mail is for less than it used to be. You can now do documentation and contracts and you can buy and sell billion-dollar entities over the Internet.

He added: "Is there a reason for the post office? Absolutely. Do we need six-day delivery? I personally don't think so."

#26     Jan 25, 2012
  7. piezoe

piezoe

I had a chat very recently with a former USPO postmaster (now retired). He told me that the congress has repeatedly interfered with post office operation and at several times in the past when the post office wanted to make changes to improve efficiency, introduce new services, or adjust rates to reflect actual costs of handling various classes of mail they were prevented from doing so if those changes would have increased costs for business or competed with private courier services. Can anyone confirm this?

#27     Jan 25, 2012
  8. zdreg

zdreg

let's assume the above is true. why should the government be in any business that the private sector can perform?

if u believe the above I have a nice bridge for sale very cheap called George Washington.

#28     Jan 25, 2012
  9. its sad to cut that many jobs but its needed. we should do 2 day a week delivery. i think they should end all junk mail including circulars. its all on the internet anyway. we can save the planet too.

#29     Jan 25, 2012
  10. zdreg

zdreg

why is it sad? they are sucking off the private sector with their excessive wages and benefits. this is one of the main reasons the reason the US and Europe are broke. wait till inflation comes back and their salaries are automatically adjusted for inflation. then the US will be the next Argentina.

#30     Jan 25, 2012