US desperate to keep stockmarket from collapsing ahead of elections ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Kicking, Sep 11, 2008.

Buy here ?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2008.
  1. Yes this is the bottom

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  2. Yes this is a bottom

7 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. Yes but for a short term dead cat bounce tomorrow and the next couple of days. After that all bets a

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. No the market is actually setting up for an imminent plunge after bottom fishers got suckered in

40 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. What do you think of the timing of these bailouts just when it looked like the bottom was falling off?

Why did they need all of sudden to take action on FNM and FRE ?

Why a bailout of LEH right now ?

Is Paulson afraid of a September 2008 crash ruining Mc Cain's campaign ?

2. IMO it has more to do with china and other counties who are invested in our banks. If china or even japan pulls there money out say good bye us dollar hello worlds biggest depression

3. piezoe

piezoe

This is a temporary bottom (a double maybe). Have no clue how long before we go lower, but most likely not until after the election, but who knows? Probably in 2009 sometime. We will have to take at least 30% out of the S&P from it's 1570 high and maybe more. This is a very severe recession we are headed into and any ridiculous attempts to head it off by borrowing and spending money (or printing it) will only put off the inevitable.

I suggest that this recession be named the "Greenspan-Bush" recession in honor of the two men who contributed the most to its success. Housing has a long ways to fall yet, the building industries will be decimated, and many more foreclosures and new heights in unemployment are yet to come. There will be many wonderful market opportunities, both short and long presenting themselves in the coming months. Banks (all banks except maybe the bank of Hawaii :D ) will see significant earnings impact from the recession, but some have been beaten down beyond all reason and thus present buying opportunities. A few of the most clever and aggressive ones will come roaring back ahead of the pack (UCBH is one). I love this market.

4. You are all great macro economists! Why are you on a trader's website, however?

5. hughb

hughb

Well, if it's in the Republican's best interest to inflate stock prices, wouldn't it be in the Democrat's best interest to crash them? So is that how this really works, you have the Republican party buying hand over fist and the Democrat party selling hand over fist? All this time I've been watching advancers, decliners, new highs, new lows when I should have been watching the bank accounts at the RNC and the DNC. Life's tough for clueless sheeple like me.

6. Shaqi

Shaqi

If you have nothing positive to contribute. SHUT UP!

7. I still don't see why they went ahead with the GSE bailout .
    The question of the timing does not seem to be addressed in the media. Just a couple of weeks ago Paulson said in all likelihood they would not have to use government funds but they wanted to provide a backstop. Seems to me this guy is the biggest liar of all the Treasury secretaries that worked under the Bush administration. Listen to him and the opposite of what he says will happen.

I really don't see the issue of confidence regarding the dollar, it is in a very strong uptrend. So why the hurry ?
    As for propping up housing (pretty outrageous given how inflated it still is and government was very happy on the way up), how big an effect is this going to have ? And why now before all other options are exhausted and the GSE's actually go bankrupt ?

8. Correct, this whole mess begin in late 2005 ran into 2006 when the republicans were trying to keep power in the 2006 election.

Bush would stand up and tell everyone this is an ownership nation, more Americans own there own home not than ever before in American history.

It was all to get the crooks in congress re elected. It did not work, this is the result three years later.

And yes you are correct Bush and his wall street appointments are propping up the market, make no mistake.

It won’t matter who wind the election, when its over you can bet the market will finidh the direction it started. The market wants to go down.

9. Correct, this whole mess begin in late 2005 ran into 2006 when the republicans were trying to keep power in the 2006 election.

Bush would stand up and tell everyone this is an ownership nation, more Americans own there own home now than ever before in American history.

It was all to get the crooks in congress re elected. It did not work, this is the result three years later.

And yes you are correct Bush and his wall street appointments are propping up the market, make no mistake.

It won’t matter who wins the election, when its over you can bet the market will finish the direction it started. The market wants to go down.

10. Maybe you should become a commentator on CNBC and tell the world your expert market opinions.

Those guys have such a great record for accuracy.

#10     Sep 12, 2008