United Airlines ( UAL)

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Apr 11, 2017.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. java

java

What's the over/under on the settlement? I'll set it at a $1 million for the starting line. Perks don't count, just cold hard cash for the lawyer. Free air travel on United for life doesn't sound like a perk right now.

3. dealmaker

dealmaker

I am guessing it will be a lot more than $1M...

4. dealmaker

dealmaker

Man removed from jet is Kentucky doctor with criminal record
    Don Babwin, Associated Press

12:18 pm, Tuesday, April 11, 2017

CHICAGO (AP) — The man dragged from a fullUnited Expressflight by airport police in Chicago is a Kentucky physician who was convicted more than a decade ago of felony charges involving his prescribing of drugs.

But while the passenger's unflattering history quickly became the focus of attention, there's no indication that his past influenced how he was treated or that the airline or police were aware of his background. And it's unlikely that officials would have known anything about him other than basic identifying information such as his name and address, if that.

A person with knowledge of the Sunday evening flight who was not authorized to publicly release the information toldThe Associated Pressthat the passenger was David Dao, 69, of Elizabethtown, Kentucky. He did not return messages from the AP.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Chicago-United-Express-lambasted-over-man-11064591.php

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. dealmaker

dealmaker

6. Assaulting someone over a contract dispute in Cook County?..even the most unsympathetic plaintiff could expect to walk away from this one richer. They sky is the limit on this one. Actual damages are likely capped on this one in the $100k range, but punitive / exemplary damages are likely in this one which will bring recovery of attorney fees into play.

I mean, short of the guy being a violent criminal and a jerk on the stand, I don't see any way UAL wins this in court--much less as a PR matter.

My money would be on UAL and the passenger entering into a high/low agreement prior to trial with--just a shot in the dark--$1 million - $2.5 million.

7. ajacobson

ajacobson

I doubt the ticket agreement allows him to sue the airline and the TSA may be shielded in an enforcement action. My vote is 0$ hard dollars. Maybe some travel perks.

8. volpri

volpri

Stupid move by UAL. Akin to a trader not taking their Sl and now it cost much more. I will definetly avoid flying with them as much as possible. Stupid. STUPID STUPID. They would have been much better to offer him a free flight and 2000.00 cash. Or drive the 4 employees to their destination. This is ALL UAL's fault. They overbooked. They should accept the responsibility for doing so and not drag a payed up and seated customer off the plane. So ..so...ignorant and just shows where the love of power and control will get you. I hope the doc cleans their plow in court.

comagnum likes this.
  9. truetype

truetype

Wonder if he refused to deplane because he had to make an "important delivery" to his "associates"...

10. Contract of carriage is moot here. Federal law expressly allows you to bring suit against an airline that removes you from a flight for reasons within their control. No judge is going to rule that the airline couldn't control employee scheduling--Cook County Judges least of all under these circumstances.

#10     Apr 11, 2017