Unique technical indicators

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Emil, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Emil

Emil

I'm trying to do some data mining of trading strategies by using a genetic algorithm to combine different trading rules and would like to get my hand on some more novel technical indicators than the usual bunch (rsi, cci, etc,..).

Any suggestions?

2. kut2k2

kut2k2

google "technical indicators list". The first entry offers over 110 indicators.

3. Sergio77

Sergio77

Read this first and realize that if you use GA to combine trading rules the strategy you find must be significant at (t-test of strategy/# of combinations tried), i.e. it will never be significant for all practical purposes. IMO the best way is to come up with an abstract hypothesis and backtest it without GA data-mining. Good luck.

4. Emil

Emil

Yes, I know that thank you. Which is why I've implemented several methods of multiple hypothesis testing and cross validation.

5. bone

bone

You'll quickly come to the conclusion that out of hundreds of technical indicators, they are largely variations on just a handful of basic premises. Oscillators, moving averages, volatility range, that type of thing. Time frames are the most overlooked aspect of technical analysis IMHO.

6. Sergio77

Sergio77

Good point by bone.

7. Handle123

Handle123

Exactly, you can only crunch the numbers so many different ways before an indicator is going to look like some other indicator. There are a few indicators that are unlike the 99 % but you will never get your hands on them as the folks that made their own won't tell anyone about them.

jl1575 likes this.
  8. convexx

convexx

Delimited stuff (osc.) are only useful for confirmation; (lower low on Px, higher low on osc.). There are some useful visual representations of vola (STARC, ATR, IV bands, vol-cones, etc.). THE GA is simply going to show you which are complementary.

9. Don't do it...:)

10. Ergodic is a little different, somewhat unusual seemingly, I've seen it used by one trader and he was making live trades and doing ok. I forget what he coupled it with, he used several indicators, probably the more ordinary ones. It's calculated from multiple ema's. I just put it on a chart for yucks, it gives some divergence signals that are good until it doesn't... Good luck there, I'm not sure that anybody has found the HG with any indicators in any fashion. I did read a post about a system that made money for three years then gave it all back and more in one very unusual December. A map for traders should look like a medieval thing complete with the notations like "there be dragons".

#10     Sep 14, 2014