Ungrateful Muskrat Turns on Rescuers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dealmaker, Mar 24, 2017.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

2. mlawson71

mlawson71

It's a panicked wild animal, we can't really expect them to have human or even pet animal reasoning.

3. vanzandt

vanzandt

I remember that zoo guy Jack Hannah spoke about this on Letterman once. Pretty much used your exact quote. Thats exactly what I thought when I read DM's post. Especially a friggin muscrat... aren't they related to badgers? Little f'rs are mean.

4. mlawson71

mlawson71

All animals can be mean if they feel cornered, or are scared, or angry - they react on instinct. Even pets can do that, and they're trained and bred to live in a human environment.

Now I have a cat and a dog, but once I had two cats plus the dog - one of the cats passed away from old age recently. Anyway, the point is, those two cats got into a real fight one day for some reason, a total ball of fur, teeth and claws, screeching loudly, spitting, hissing, fur flying out, rolling on the floor like something out of a cartoon, if you've ever seen cats fighting for real, you know what I mean. In my infinite wisdom, I attempted to break up the fight by getting right in the middle of that (don't ever try to break up a literal cat fight in this manner). So I grabbed one of the cats and pulled it off the other, or tried to anyway, because he was holding on so tightly that the other cat was hanging off his paws in the air as I lifted him. Then he turned and bit me on the hand all the way down to the bone, before letting go of the other cat and me. And that was a cat that had never been - nor was since that day - aggressive towards humans in any way, shape or form, but in the heat of the fight he just reacted on instinct. And that's a pet that was very, very used to being handled by humans, not a wild animal.

5. Max E.

Max E.

vanzandt likes this.