Ultra-thin Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alpha Trader, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Does anyone have suggestions for an ultra-thin 25" monitor which is "frameless", with a matte finish?.

Ty :)

2. I'm a long time user of multi-monitor. Suggest you not be concerned with "size of frame". Even if your bezels are "fat", you'll soon not notice them at all... your attention directed to the charts themselves, ignoring the space between.

As for "matte finish", only matters if you have "direct light glare". Personally, I go for the smooth finished ones, then angle them away from glare. (My favorite monitor has an actual smooth glass screen, but no glare because of how positioned.)

VPhantom and Alpha Trader like this.
  3. DREU

DREU

4. K-Rock

K-Rock

5. Hey @Scataphagos I think I pretty much can agree with you on most of this; especially with losing attention to most distractions once getting engrossed with charts. However, the issue lies on my side, where I am handicapped by my OCD tendencies and I don't like anything being a distraction when I am trading and so I make sure I try and have all angles covered.

Your solution to reducing glare is a pretty simple one should it all align. I am sure I can use your solution with one monitor, but may become an issue with multiple monitors, if I want them all perfectly aligned. I sit right by a large double window and also have another station with 4 monitors that will sit on the opposite wall (my back facing away from it) and feel that those 2 factors may come in the way.

I just got back from Best Buy and really liked these monitors for everything (but the price), especially the thinness of it. Your thoughts?.

Thanks for the tips @Scataphagos ; appreciate it!.

6. What I'm looking at right now had a pretty good deal same time last year at Best Buy ($119). That's over $100 less per monitor; I'm hoping it pops up sometime soon.

7. toonerdy

toonerdy

I am writing this response on a "4k" 3840x2160@60Hz (HDMI 2.0) 50" Hisense 50cu6000 Smart TV that I got from Target last Black Friday for about $250. Before the 4k@60Hz 42" Silo display that this replaced and before the 4k@30Hz 40" Seiki that that replaced, I used a two display system, which I think was 1600x1200 + 1920x1080. I think the 50" 4k screen has been a substantial improvement over all of these, although I agree with Scataphagos that the bezels between the display I used back then were not the annoyance I had originally expected (except when I tried to view media using both screens).

Another possible plus for the 4k options is that it seems that, judging just from my latest Hisense display, it seems that image quality for watching movies has improved dramatically for "el cheapo", "no name" 4k displays. The two earlier 4k televisions had horrible image quality for playing movies, but my Hisense has quality that, as far as I can tell, is equal to the best that I see in video showrooms, although I always set "smooth motion" and "noise reduction" to their maximum levels when I watch movies and turn those settings off when I am using any part of the display to manipulate text (because the maximum setting of "smooth motion" causes the image processing to make other areas of the screen move sometimes when it detects motion in one part of the image.

Using less space for mounts or stands, using one less video cable, being able to use all those pixels to watch a single video when you're not using the display for trading, and perhaps getting slightly better image quality from some stream services due to the stream service implemented in the TV presumably not being limited to HDMI color depths might be substantial advantages if you think you'd have any opportunity at all to use the display for watching video content when you're not using it as a computer monitor.

You might want to do some web searches for cheap 4k TV's. For the next few months, you probably still won't find a deal better in every dimension than what I was lucky enough to find, but deals that are close are offered every now and then and tracked on various web pages, such as https://dealnews.com/c159/Electronics/TVs/f1409/4-K/ .

I must add one warning, however. In reading many reviews of people buying refurbished displays, I have read reports of sellers, including at least one selling through Walmart, if I recall correctly, apparently shipping obviously defective displays, leading at least one review author to speculate that some of these shops are just shipping out their returns as "refurbished" without determining that they have fixed the problem that caused the original return.

VPhantom and Alpha Trader like this.
  8. toonerdy

toonerdy

I hasten to add that one bothersome drawback of the cheap 50" 4k display that I sit only a few feet from is that it's not curved. With a two display system, you can at least angle the screens to ameliorate that.

#10     Jul 3, 2017
    VPhantom likes this.