TWS latest release 909.3 is a MESS

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by tomahawk, Sep 28, 2010.

1. I use IB charting for some things because the commands are quicker and easier to use than Quotetracker's, but this latest release as of 09/28/10 is just ridiculous.

They must have not bothered to test it for more than 5 minutes because:

- typing a comment on a chart causes any and all minimized charts to maximize onto the screen

- hitting "cancel all" (orders) does the same thing
    (backdoor way of getting people not to cancel orders?)

In addition, they did away with the chart vertical expand/shrink tool, which means you can't look to see where trendline extensions end up, or zoom in on just the vertical to see more tick granularity. And they also made the numbers on the x- and y-axis smaller so they are much more difficult to read.

I have yet to find an improvement that's helpful. It's just unbelieveable to me how IB manages to make things worse every time there's an update.

2. BSAM

BSAM

I
    B
    =
    G
    R
    E
    A
    T
    B
    R
    O
    K
    E
    R
    ;
    L
    O
    U
    S
    Y
    C
    H
    A
    R
    T
    S
    !

3. The way price bars print is fine, based on comparisons with friends who use Tradestation, TOS, etc. Personally I'm more comfortable with the simplicity (quickness) of some of the functions in IB vs other platforms.

BUT... sloppy programming errors like the ones I mentioned above, deleting essential tools, and making the charts more difficult to read ... there's just no excuse.

4. My alarms are hidden too :)

5. DAV

DAV ET Sponsor

We have added a vertical slider to the chart that replaces the expand/shrink tool, if you don't see it let me know.

We're checking on the other problems you reported (check your PMs).

Dav

6. hopeful

hopeful

You use IB for charting? LOLx99.

7. Yeah, and Quotetracker too. IB beats QT on speed of adding comments, multiple levels of undo, and a few other things that keep it nice and simple. I use QT for chart formats and features not offered in IB.

A rather well-known (around here) female trader friend uses QT and her charts are actually delayed by seconds compared to (my) IB's, and it doesn't seem to affect her bottom llne. IB's bars pretty much match TS or TOS, so I don't have a problem, generally.

8. My mistake ... I was told yesterday the vertical tool was gone but the IB rep didn't mention that slider, and I didn't happen to see it. I'm back in v908 today so I'll check the slider out when I have a chance.

Thanks.

9. For the record, the charts popping up issues have seemingly been resolved, and there is a new vertical slider tool which is actually pretty cool.

Thanks IB for at least fixing the bugs pretty quickly, but I still say you need to have fewer new TWS releases but test them way more thoroughly before each one.

Tomahawk

10. For DAV as requested ...

Edit: I should add I may have found another bug ... it seems my TWS toolbar settings do not save properly. I keep losing the "(add) Chart" tool from the toolbar on each new login.

#10     Oct 1, 2010