Trying to find my (investor) self

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by retire_by_55, Jul 30, 2008.

1. I've been following the upgrading strategy of sound mind investing for a little over 2 years. I've generally felt good about the system until I recently determined that I've gained only about 6.5% per year. In fairness to sound mind, I can't say I've followed their recommendations "to the letter" each and every month. Through a series of events, my self directed retirement funds have now been in cash since early in June. I have funds still invested in VTTHX through a profit sharing plan so I'm about 30% in cash in total.

You would think that avoiding about 10% in losses in my self directed funds would feel good. However, I've been driving myself (and my wife) crazy trying to determine how I'm going to invest from here out.

I've taken advantage of the many free trial subscriptions available. I'm feeling like Andy Kaufman in the "Man on the Moon" scene ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy53Un2AXpU&feature=related ) where he realizes the healer he's traveled many miles to see is a fake.

Has anyone out there posted significant (I'll say 17.5%) year over year gains for an extended period? If so, do you have a full time job and a life outside of your trading.

I'll look forward to your comments.

2. I've been driving myself (and my wife) crazy trying to determine how I'm going to invest from here out.
    ==================================

Keep building a knowledge base and the idea will come to you. In other words, don't try so hard or force the issue.

3. Thanks for the advice nutmeg. I'm trying... my wife says I'm very trying. :)

Anyone have any success following Harry Larson at www.fundbuster.com ?

Thanks again.