Trump's growth problem: jobs boost masks trouble ahead for US economy

Discussion in 'Economics' started by OddTrader, Jul 9, 2017.

2. zdreg

zdreg

"but wages remain low"
    the article meant say to say wages are not going up much.
    The Guardian is a left wing newspaper that believes inflation is a good thing because it wipes out the creditors and helps the debtors i.e the poor. it is nonsense but that is the commonly held belief of the Left.

i960 and cdcaveman like this.
  3. SteveH

SteveH

There's 94 million able-bodied people in the U.S. unemployed. How LOW does that number need to fall before there's a real and lasting difference? 10's OF MILLIONS OF JOBS.

Globalism killed the U.S. middle-class.

Solve THAT problem.

i960 and Gotcha like this.
  4. The Moral Ecology of Markets
    Assessing Claims about Markets and Justice
    Daniel Finn
    Saint John's University, Minnesota

http://www.cambridge.org/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521677998

Q

Disagreements about the morality of markets, and about self-interested behavior within markets, run deep. They arise from perspectives within economics and political philosophy that appear to have nothing in common. In this book, Daniel Finn provides a framework for understanding these conflicting points of view. Recounting the arguments for and against markets and self-interest, he argues that every economy must address four fundamental problems: allocation, distribution, scale, and the quality of relations. In addition, every perspective on the morality of markets addresses explicitly or implicitly the economic, political, and cultural contexts of markets, or what Finn terms 'the moral ecology of markets'. His book enables a dialogue among the various participants in the debate over justice in markets. In this process, Finn engages with major figures in political philosophy, including John Rawls, Robert Nozick, and Michael Walzer, as well as in economics, notably Milton Friedman, Friedrich Hayek, and James Buchannan.

Engages the debates about capitalism and markets across the disciplines of economics, political science, and political philosophy • Provides a novel framework for placing conflicting points of view in dialogue with each other • Well-written and non-technical, this book is useful to scholars and accessible to students
    Contents

1. Thinking ethically about economic life; Part I. Self-interest, Morality, and the Problems of Economic Life: 2. De-moralized economic discourse about markets; 3. The moral defense of self-interest and markets; 4. The moral critique of self-interest and markets; 5. The four problems of economic life; Part II. The Moral Ecology of Markets: 6. The market as an arena of freedom; 7. The moral ecology of markets; 8. Implications.

UQ

https://www.gordon.edu/ace/pdf/F&ESpr07SYMP.pdf

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  5. You have a pretty shallow understanding of economics.... If you meant one world Government globalism I can understand but unhampered free trade is mutually beneficial

zdreg likes this.
  6. dumpdapump

dumpdapump

So what about the trillions in all combined pension accounts that hardly earn a dime because of low rates (as a result of low inflation) ? Ever thought of those? Low rates benefit the super rich because they can leverage up their investments cheaply. Even a zero borrow rate does not help anyone in the middle class or any of the poor when they cannot even put up collateral. Low rates are actually a huge net negative for the middle class for the precise reason I stated at the very beginning.

7. In the long run artificially manipulation of the fundemental signal of time preference (interest rates) will destroy call for everyone. In the mean time call is extracted from people who are in positions where pay does not keep up with inflation.. which is anyone earning a living basically.... Your pay increase will be slower then the increase in the prices of goods you guy.. and of course you have to take excessive risk to even save the money you do have because of the eroding effect of inflation...

8. zdreg

zdreg

the Left and crony capitalists must be fought with vigor and determination.

cdcaveman likes this.
  9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Infographic: China's growing wealth gap 1995-2015

10. Gotcha

Gotcha

I am starting to really think the real problem forward will be deflation. The central banks greatly want inflation, but they aren't getting it, other than real estate perhaps, which somehow doesn't factor into things too much.

Inflation in a way is a wonderful thing because it means all that debt can be solved quite easily, people are already programmed to accept it, and the governments can easily control it through interest rates if it spirals out of control.

But I think the real fear is deflation, and its here. People aren't buying stuff anymore, people won't have jobs any more, money will not be flowing, all of these things are deflationary. On top of this, automation is quite deflationary in my opinion and its just around the corner. And now that huge debt cannot be paid off. Of course the plan was never to pay it off but to inflate it away. But without inflation, there is no way to get rid of it, and if deflation takes hold, things will get very ugly.

How do governments fight deflation other than really printing money and giving it to everyone hand over fist without completely destroying the idea of trust of the financial system?

#10     Jul 9, 2017