Trump admits ‘second thoughts’ about trade war with China

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by SteveM, Aug 25, 2019.

1. SteveM

SteveM

https://nypost.com/2019/08/25/china-promises-to-fight-back-in-escalating-trade-war/

President Trump hinted early Sunday that he was rethinking his escalating trade war with China.

“Yeah, sure, why not,” Trump told reporters after being asked if he had “any second thoughts” about the tariff war that has raged between Beijing and Washington over the past few days.

“Might as well. Might as well. I have second thoughts about everything,” he said.

Trump made his comments as he headed off to breakfast with UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson at the start of the first full day of the G-7 Summit in France.

The president at first sounded belligerent when asked about China.

Asked by reporters if his allies at the summit were pressuring him to give up the trade war — Johnson in particular has voiced concerns that it could spark a global recession — Trump answered, “No, Not at all.”

He added of the other leaders, “I think they respect the trade war. China has been, I can only speak for the United States — I can’t say what they’ve been doing to the UK and to other places — but from the standpoint of the United States, what [China] has done is outrageous.

“Presidents and administrations allowed them to get away with taking hundreds of billions of dollars out every year and putting it into China. So the answer is nobody’s told me that. Nobody would tell me that.”

China, meanwhile, has sounded no conciliatory notes.

Beijing “will never waver in its stand on countering any provocations by the US side,” the ruling Communist Party’s People’s daily said in a commentary Sunday.

Snuskpelle likes this.
  2. S2007S

S2007S

You can see how worried he is now that its escalated into a severe trade war frenzy!! China will keep up till the very end and will win this trade war. Trump knows that, but not admitting to it yet. The further this goes on with each country one upping each other the quicker the market drop and closer we get to a full blown crisis and long long recession. He thought by being aggressive he could get China to just agree with his terms and move on. But china is showing no stop to the way they are addressing each and every angle of trump's tariff increases. Now that we are at this crossroad trump is now worried and I can guarantee you that if markets keep selling off he will either lighten up the tariffs or eliminate them all together. Too much risk at hand now than reward and I think trump is finally realizing this. That's why he made this statement today.

3. Gee, I was just getting real giddy about another massive market meltdown and big trading profits. I hope the Orange Psycho Buffoon doesn't turn Yellow Schizo and suddenly reverse gear.

Drumpf's brain dead gamble is like a hopelessly out of the money option - might as well go all the way and die with a big bang for the memories. No mentally sound person would take on China (America's largest creditor / banker, with the world's largest foreign currency reserves, the largest industrial base, the single largest consumer market, and one of the world's most cost-competitive labor force) in a trade war while carrying the largest government debt, largest national budget deficit, and the largest unfunded liabilities in the history of mankind.

America is too far gone in the abyss anyway after decades of reckless, corrupt, incompetent, and criminally negligent leadership. The lazy, stupid, ignorant, apathetic populace kind of deserve what is coming for them.

In a so-called democracy (real or phony), the people always get the government they deserve.

Oh, I do have second thoughts of my own about this - perhaps Doorman Drumpf is merely executing a well-scripted plan by America's multinational corporate owners, who being ultra-smart, connected, informed, cunning and unscrupulous, had seen the end of America coming some 25 years ago, and decided to sacrifice America in exchange for a more accommodating presence in China, and hence the Euro-Asian market. After all, they know better than most when to cut losses and move on to greener pastures. It can't be mere coincidence that everything Drumpf has been doing is in the long term interests of China, Russia, and their rapidly de-dollarizing trading partners.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  4. srinir

srinir

The Emperor has no clothes

elitenapper and curiousGeorge8 like this.
  5. "The White House says President Donald Trump’s only regret in escalating the trade war with China was in not being more aggressive."

All those who think this guy is going to lift the tariffs are just fooling themselves. This issue is the literally the only thing he has been consistent on for decades. Sure, watching DOW plunging is painful for him but he won't stop until it's way too late.

nooby_mcnoob and SPX Blaster like this.
  6. DaveV

DaveV

I think you give Trump too much credit. He really doesn't think that far ahead. He doesn't read, doesn't study the history of why other Presidents have failed to contain China, ignores the advice of subject matter experts, and doesn't take advantage of resources that are already available. He could have accomplished a lot more by modifying the TPP agreement than starting from scratch. With Trump, everything is seat of the pants and going by gut-feel. This is a recipe for creating chaos in everything he tries to do, no matter how well-intentioned.

comagnum likes this.
  7. This president is in his late stage of insanity. Trade war escalation, a day later no trade war escalation. Wanting to buy Greenland, a day later no more Greenland, but wanting to put a consulate there. Then he talks about wanting to lower capital gains taxes, a day later its a bad idea. America is the absolute laughing stock of the world.

This guy has zero backbone and China knows it and plays him and America like a fiddle. When will the republican base realize that this president is destroying the entire country? When will they have the guts to nominate and support a sane alternative candidate for 2020.

SunTrader, Snuskpelle and SPX Blaster like this.
  8. No surprise.

One day Trumpy acts tough on trade (well, at least a little), and the market has a down day. Next day he backs away and the market recovers. Rinse and repeat.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Dow UP 600 on Monday.

9. SPX Blaster likes this.
  10. SPX Blaster

SPX Blaster Guest

China will just wait till there is a new president.

#10     Aug 25, 2019