Trading Software for active traders (Futures/Equities)

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by ValeryN, Feb 16, 2023.

1. ValeryN

ValeryN

Was fairly content with IB, but feeling like reaching its' limitations when it comes to features, speed and charts usability. Will appreciate good trading platform recommendations for active traders.

Requirements:
    1. Instruments - futures/equities/options (but can keep options out of it)
    2. Speedy with lots of small charts on the screen / ability to link them
    3. Trading hotkeys, price/volume/vwap, easy drawing tools, market replay
    4. Ideally macOS, but can work with windows..
    Played with Ninja a bit, zooming in/out seems odd, volume is single color :( I'm sure there are solutions just first impressions.

Thanks in advance.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

You may want to check out on of our sponsors called MotiveWave. They provide a more robust front end that integrates with IB's execution services on the backend, and it works on MacOS with both Intel and M1 chips.

3. BKR88

BKR88

ValeryN likes this.
  4. qlai

qlai

Most people separate charting from execution. Also, better to use different execution for Equities/Options vs Futures. I am only suggesting this because you are saying IB is not “good enough” Basically, choose companies that specialize.

MACD, murray t turtle and Real Money like this.
  5. ValeryN

ValeryN

Right, research charting is separate. Still need to have quite a few charts at the moment of execution. MotiveWave looks promising. I like how they show cumulative PL after each execution, charts feel much more lightweight comparing to IB.

TradingView is what I use for looking at a lot of charts with great layout customization. Backtesting RealTest and AmiBroker. Tried AmiBroker for executions few years back but it’s not designed for that so lots of work and felt limited.

Ps. It seems to me that options and equities might need separate platform rather than futures and equities. With options need to look at the PL profile before sending it. IB is pretty good for that.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  6. %%
    They have 2 color charts on Twitter also. Hard to go wrong with a free trial.
    I do about 80-88-97%[average]of my chart analysis after close + before market open.
    So IBKR charts with thier consistant but wrong volume , was ok; i just never did completely trust any brokers charts -quotes.:caution::caution:
    Like motiveWave ad notes; Analyze.[period] trade...........[I spelled it out, they did not ]

7. taipan77

taipan77

Thanks I'm even going to take a look at it since it works with MAC OS

murray t turtle and Baron like this.
  8. %%
    I left options out of it;
    even though i miss Options Express Charts+ Windows on Wall Street[WOW]
    Actually i use small charts for most of my execution$, or sometimes bid\ask+ resting orders.;
    i specialize in several sectors which is different from your specialize point.

9. scalpz

scalpz

Has anyone used Pilotrades? They claim a 72-80+ percent success rate and have examples on the site. Not affiliated in any way, just curious since they show my instrument NQ and timeframe.

10. Overnight

Overnight

100 trades. 90 of them win for 1 tick each. 90% success rate.

Trades 91-100 lose 10 ticks each. Success rate drops to what, 88%? But you are now in a loss. You gained 90 ticks. but lost 100 ticks, with a 88% win rate (or whatever it comes out to be).

Win rate is not a measure of success.

#10     Mar 10, 2023
    Brookwood likes this.