Trading needs the same "revolution" that martial arts went through 15 years ago

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IronFist, Sep 26, 2008.

1. simulators = doing kata = mostly waste of time
    trading = real fighting

If you ever want a mind blowing experience, walk into your local BJJ school and ask to roll with the BJJ black belt there as your intro to decide if you want to sign up.
    Tell him you want proof this stuff really works and want him to take you out as fast possible LOL.

The feeling of complete domination and helplessness is mind boggling. The technical ability these guys posses can not be described in words.

You are like a tiny child in their hands, even if they are half your size. Its amazing being subbed every 5-10 seconds as if they are not even trying. You literally have no chance. Its an amazing art that doesnt compare to anything else.

Even against a muay thai fighter, who would destroy you, if you are tough, you can take some punishment before he finishes you. But a BJJ black belt can finish you in 3 seconds or less quite ofte without ever throwing a single punch.

#51     Sep 26, 2008
  2. It was a rear naked choke, the "mata leon" and he put you to sleep in a few seconds. Its trivial to get on people who dont know BJJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlXJjb7hiFI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l7wpQH77JE

#52     Sep 26, 2008
  3. In 1979 it was called a full nelson in my school. And the video you posted did not demonstrate a full nelson.

#53     Sep 26, 2008
  4. The full nelson is a wrestling hold still used today, and it can not choke you out. You said the kid learned BJJ from his dad, so it was a mata leon/RNC

Virtually all the BJJ chokes are blood chokes designed to make you unconscious in a few seconds. Air chokes take too long.

Well actually, now that I think about it, you could possibly modify a full nelson into a blood choke. Id have to try it to be sure, but I see how it could work.

#54     Sep 26, 2008
  5. It is you who is incorrect o little grasshopper.

A good strategy DOES NOT equal profitability.

A good TRADER equals profitability.

There is a difference.... a huge difference.

#55     Sep 26, 2008
  6. sg20

sg20

The trick I learned for the old school of Jiujitsu was to hold the guys finger and try to break it; he would have a very tough time dealing with you, submitting you in 3 seconds is not as easy as you thought.

#56     Sep 26, 2008
  7. If in a fight, I will curl up in a ball and protect my head.

Alas it is my only defense :(

#57     Sep 26, 2008
  8. Go try holding a BJJ black belts fingers to prevent him from submitting you. Let me know how long it takes for you to wake up :eek: :p :D

There are no "tricks" in real fighting. Just techniques that really work and many that dont.

#58     Sep 26, 2008
  9. cipher4d

cipher4d

First time I have seen woodie called out on this forum. Just in time to GO BUY HIS $900 BILLION DOLLAR DVD! :D

#59     Sep 26, 2008
  10. durso

durso

Yeah, I remember having a similar insight when I read the claim in Market Wizards that David Ryan won some investment championship several years in a row. Now, I have no idea how the competition is set up, if it reflects anything useful, who enters it, etc., but you're right. There are few objective ways to distinguish between traders. On the other hand, there is definitely something to be said for mathematical tests of technical indicators and such. It may not tell you how they will perform when combined with other indicators, but it definitely is a step (albeit maybe just a little step) in the right direction.

The big difference between martial arts and trading, of course, is that martial artists have a motivation to show that their style is better. Martial artists have competitions. Traders, on the other hand, have a good reason to keep any insight they might have a secret. Furthermore, unlike with martial arts, where two people try to overpower each other using everything they know, there is no reason why dozens of traders can't simultaneously make money using very different strategies.

The analogy is good, but it only goes so far.

#60     Sep 26, 2008