Home > Tools of the Trade > Hardware > Trading laptop? Considering the HP Probook 450 G5.

Trading laptop? Considering the HP Probook 450 G5.

1. Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new trading laptop. I will use it for my charting software (Ninja), order entry and also some analysis in Excel and a custom application I have in C#.

I've been recommended the HP Probook 450 G5 with Core i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD and Windows 10 Pro elsewhere.

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/HP-SB-450-G5-I5-8250U-256GB-8GB-W10P/4769616.aspx

Any experiences or knowledge of these? Or other recommendations in the same price range?

Thanks in advance! :)

Howard

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I will be connecting two additional 22" screens.

2. $870 for Those specs and only a 1366x768 resolution...Expensive laptop;

You can find a way better deal on eBay for a used one....with a 17" screen, 1920 resolution, i7 CPU, SSD drive, and better video card.
    Search for it, they're there.

3. Any other recommendations then? :)

4. Does it have to be a laptop?

5. It will probably be stationary most of the time, so I considered a stationary, but I am semi-mobile, so would prefer a laptop. :)

6. Except for the very expensive ones, they tend to have less RAM, RAM upgrades are very expensive, monitor resolutions tend to be to low for trading.

7. HP is almost always garbage when it comes to consumer grade products. I'd get a slightly used ThinkPad P50 if your budget is below $1k.

8. I had that laptop for roughly 6 hours before I quickly returned it. The screen resolution is horrendous on a laptop. You need at least 1920x1080 when trading. Anything less and charts look like garbage plus you wont be able to fit much on the screen.

I went to surface book and really enjoyed it. Ultimately I settled on a 15 inch MacBook. I need iMessage during the day and it’s nice not needing to keep checking my phone.

Please, whatever you do... do not get that laptop.

Spend a little more if you need to. Also, RAM upgrades are actually extremely cheap. Changing hard drives can be expensive (going from HD to SSD) but RAM won’t ever cost more than $100 upgrading if you need to.

I’m on laptops a lot since I’m a software developer. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

9. Just to quickly add - Not every laptop allows you to upgrade RAM after the fact. Apple specifically solders RAM so it cannot be upgraded after you purchase it.

If you’re going to get a Windows laptop then look for these features:

Monitor size - Whatever you’re comfortable with
    Minimum resolution: 1920x1080
    Minimum Processor: i5, prefer i7, minimum i3
    SSD or Hard Drive: Min 128gb, prefer 256gb+
    RAM: minimum 8gb, prefer 16gb

Monitor size won’t really matter if you’re going to have it docked/plugged into an external monitor. Without a doubt you’ll use the laptop mobile at times so definitely go with higher resolution.

10. If you’re OK with a desktop, look at the intel NUC. There’s a small premium after it’s all built out but it’s very small, light and somewhat portable if you have an external monitor wherever you’re going.

11. I was happy with Thinkpads until my current laptop. I started with the T42, then T400, then T430. Those were all good laptops with the exception of an intermittent audio issue on the T430. But my current T460p is a pile of crap. The most obvious mistake was the docking station. They shrunk the docking connector and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries to dock it correctly. I had to have it replaced once because it simply failed to boot up one day. I have never had any other piece of hardware fail on me. Sometimes it goes to sleep and cannot recover, have to do a hard reboot. I think the Thinkpads no longer have the quality that they used to have. HPs have better displays. I'd also consider Dell, but have never had a Dell laptop before.

12. I have this for traveling or when out back in yard . Not my main ,I have a desk top that I built.

I'm very happy with it,4K version is a beauty.

You can get 1080p version to save $ among other specs.

There's a 13inch model .

Narrow down to a few brands/models then check youtube reviews.

You can find deals on Dell outlet store

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...earch.aspx?cs=22&c=us&s=dfh&brandid=2201&l=en

I use an older LT for surfing the web.

13. Are you sure that this HP laptop can drive two external screens?
    You mention in one of your other messages that you will use it mainly stationary, and only sometimes mobile. In such a situation would I prefer to invest in a good desktop PC. And maybe add a simpler laptop for those few occasions that I'm not working from my desk.

14. Wow. I'm glad I'm asked then.

Are you sure about the resolution? And does that matter if I'm mostly relying on 2 external LCD screens? It's this one:

https://www.komplett.no/product/951...baerbare-pc-er/hp-probook-450-g5-156-full-hd#

The machine ain't yet released, so that page (Norwegian) ain't fully updated with specifications. But, if I'm finding the correct information, it's equipped with a NVIDIA® GeForce® 930MX (2 GB DDR3 dedicated, switchable) which has a max. resolution of 2560 x 1600.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/laptops/probook-450#

Regarding specific questions, I would very much like a specific recommendation for another laptop if you have one. :)

15. From what I understand, yes, but I'm no computer techie, so I won't say for sure. I thought two external screens is something most modern laptops can accomplish. Currently doing this on my old Asus Zenbook UX303.

16. Looks great, man, but for the prices I'm getting here in Norway, it's a bit out of my price range.

I hate to be cheap on hardware, but I'm having a lot of expenses already with R&D/software upgrade on a custom application, funding an account, etc. So, I'm hoping to find some middle ground here that's acceptable until I can buy a solid workstation at a later point in time.

17. 1 external screen is the norm, just get a usb port to dvi or what ever, update will be slow no use for games but charts will be fine.

18. My current Asus has one HDMI and one Mini-DP, so I use a HDMI to Mini-DP adapter for my second screen. Works like a charm. So, getting a HDMI hub or a port like you suggest should work fine.

The only game I play is the money game. :)

19. Yes, their quality has gone down after Lenovo purchased them and they are making way too many changes nowadays as if they never understood what was the selling point of ThinkPads (slow evolution, like Porsches).
    That said, they still appear to be ahead of the rest. My upgraded T510 is getting slow but it still works well after 7 years - fans are quiet and no major issues beside the problem with cheap USB parts they installed in all the models...you get a shock if touching them and there's a very high pitched noise emitted at certain voltage settings.

If you never had any hardware fail on you then you've been extremely lucky, I've had 3 harddrives fail, GPUs stop working, PSU fans quit or become obnoxiously loud etc.

20. I would prioritize the graphics card, and see if you can get an I7 rather than an I5 processor. I think it is good to spend money on things that matter, and then economize in other areas. So if you have to go up $300 in price, then go cheap in other areas of life for a few weeks or a few months. Having an underpowered trading computer will probably frustrate you.

21. Most modern MS Windows laptops with Display Port and equipped with NVDA or AMD chip should be able to output to a max of 4 monitors easily using a cheap $25 display port hub.

Why the hell do you need more than 1 monitor is beyond me? Unless you’re a super human and can trade several securities at once. If not stick with 1 screen, 1 asset, 1 timeframe.

22. How about Acer Aspire 5/7?

They come with i5 quad core processors, 8G Ram and SSD.

23. I also can't understand the need for 3 or more monitors. They made sense back when resolutions were very low and screens were small. Nowadays with a high resolution, you can pack a lot of information on 1 screen - more than any human can actually process. That said, I use 1 myself but I preferred to use 2 because at the open with a lot of activity, I'd want to move everything non-trading related to the second screen.

24. We're drifting off-topic, but I have one entire screen for Excel and one entire screen for charts. The laptop screen is redundant.

I'd prefer 3 screens actually for multiple time frame analysis, but due to the nature of my trading, 1 screen is sufficient. One instrument only...

25. Honestly, the Lenovo was the only piece of hardware that failed on me. And I'm going all the way back to 1994 when I started building my own computers. Maybe OEMs just use cheap parts. I also periodically cleaned out the fans which may have helped.

One bit of credit that I will give the Thinkpads is that I still like the keyboards. I really don't like the Macbook / HP keyboard. Other laptops that I have seen just don't feel as good.

26. Not sure if a non-integrated graphics card is necessary (nVidia / ATI). Sure, it's more powerful, but common charting software is all 2D. Intel's integrated GPUs have also made a lot of progress over the past few years. Integrated GPU consumes a lot less power and is just one less thing to fail.

27. What is with the fascination with resolution? You guys need better eyeglasses not computers. :)

28. Higher resolution means you can fit more information on the screen while keeping it still readable. No matter how good your eyesight, at lower resolutions with smaller letters they become a blur. I think the resolution talk does go a bit too far sometimes but higher generally is better.

29. I can't read my 1280x1024 laptop screen text isn't small but can't focus on that low a res, ipad mini 1 can't read either low res but mini 2 with retina no issues.

30. I did some more searching around tonight and it seems like the Dell Inspiron 15 7577 is getting great reviews. It's just at my budget as well.

So, unless anyone protests, I think maybe I'll go for that one?

31. Howard,

Count me as the last one in the queue, but I have just registered on this site to reply to your post. Sorry my English, as it's not my first language, but I'll try to get the message across.

You're again paying a premium for a not so premium and no to mention bulky laptop.

I read your previous pages and I understand you're not so mobile but would still prefer a laptop.

Allow me to recommend you a Dell XPS 9560 - Top class performance for every buck you spend.

Dell XPS 9560: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-15/spd/xps-15-9560-laptop

I'm recommending you the $1299 configuration. Just look at the configuration and the premium build quality (Youtube video reviews!!).

Now again, $1299 is probably not in your budget, so here's the deal - http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=2201&fid=200013

Dell XPS 9560 for $1027 the one with 256 GB NVMe SSD. I too have a refurbished model and trust me when I say a Dell *Manufacturer Refurbished* is almost 99.9% as new as factory new except for the Dell Box which you'll probably throw out on first day after unboxing it.

Since, I'm a heavy Dell user, I would like to offer you a 5% Discount which will in return give me a 5% too for future purchase. That would be a $975.65 total.

And here's why I would recommend this -

A 256GB SSD coupled with NVMe technology would be blistering fast for your daily ops. What you require is performance and not capacity so this fits.

As more applications rely on GPU for speeding up, a GeForce GTX 1050 with 4GB can be used to speedup intensive applications that do forecasting/prediction or analysis and the results are truly appreciative.

Quad Core Processor. Tremendous difference between a Dual Core Processor and Quad Core. Most applications now benefit from 4 cores and the difference is clearly visible when you work.

8GB DDR4 RAM, 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) are the norm nowdays. Anything below is sub-par.

Still not convinced, spend 15 minutes of Youtube videos on this model. I'm' sure you'll be convinced. (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dell+XPS+9560)

P.S: I'm not in Dell Sales, but I do want a user to get the right product for their money.

I hope I was helpful.

32. Surprised that buying a laptop with a magnetic hard drive is still an option. SSD is much faster, consumes less power, self-encrypts on many models, and most importantly is much more shock resistant. I think Dell is a good choice though.

33. Hi,

I appreciate the recommendation. It does sound like a good deal, but living in Norway, it does not seem like the outlet deals are an option for us. I've contacted Dell about it, so let's see what they say. Maybe they do have it. Or maybe I could get it shipped abroad.

Without a discount, the XPS 9560 is above my budget for sure, but I'm sure it's a great computer.

If I can't get any outlet deals - are you saying the suggested Inspiron is not a good choice? Bulky ain't a problem since it will be mostly stationary anyway.

Is anyone here looking at anything other than SSD?

To my awareness, all the mentioned PCs so far are SSD. :)

34. Ahh.. my apologies for not knowing your country.

I see there are limited Dell XPS options available in your region through Dell website - http://www.dell.com/no/p/xps-laptops?ref=DHSHP_C1R03_XPS_laptops#!facets=93410~0~1450394&p=1

14,490 kr for this variant of Dell XPS is about 1770 USD. Not a practical choice now.

I looked some more deals and this seems to be a safer deal in your budget and your region
    Dell with i5 Processor (8th gen) / 256GB SSD / Full HD and a decent graphics card for a push when needed
    http://www.dell.com/no/p/inspiron-15-5570-laptop/pd?oc=cn57002&model_id=inspiron-15-5570-laptop

36. The link you posted did not have an SSD. I've just noticed that many new laptops still ship with magnetic drives. I still question whether you need a discrete graphics card. As I mentioned earlier, the integrated cards use less power, generate less heat, and allow a thinner form-factor. Unless you're into gaming or want to drive more than 2-3 displays, I would go with integrated graphics.

37. A good algorithm for the parsimonious: see what machine the ET crowd raved about two years ago, and buy it on eBay.

38. I myself in the market as well, I do prefer the laptop for mobuility, My HP is a dog now. I will probably pick up an MSI this week, model GS63VR STEALTH-252 because of the static hard drive and the GTX 1060 graphics card for the multi monitor setup. 1,450 at BestBuy.

39. No, it's just above my budget which I'm already pushing at 10-11.000 kr.

How does the last one you linked compare with the first one I linked to?

http://www.dell.com/no/p/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/pd?oc=cn57702&model_id=inspiron-15-7577-laptop

Thanks. :)

40. My current laptop (HP 15 inch) has 720P resolution. Is there a distinct difference between 720P and 1080P with a laptop?

Is there an advantage to a touch screen? Or is it just a gimmick?

I am in the market for a new one, so this is a good thing to know.

41. Going from 720p to 1080p small difference,but if you are going to upgrade get 1080p being most are 1080p anyway. 4K will cost way more. If you have the budget I highly suggest 4k,big difference from 1080p to 4K.

I suggest 4k and good graphics card and save on ram and SSD ,you can always upgrade ram/ssd when budget permits. Just make sure whatever model you get will let you upgrade. Check youtube reviews and how easy to upgrade before buying anything. Some models are a pain to upgrade.

I have touch screen on my model,not a gimmick but also not necessary .I just hate touch pads and never ever use use a touch pad. When not using touch screen I use this mouse and I don't need real estate to use it, because its a track ball.

Get one,you'll love it. I've been using them for many years.I had the original model which was a little different and had a bigger ball ,died after 5-6 years and now on my 2nd one of these new ones. These last about 3 years for me. Use rechargeable batteries and always have an extra set of batteries ready. Charge last for months on end,at least 3-4 months easy peasy.

See reviews,everyone loves it.
    Logitech
    Logitech Wireless Trackball M570
    12,140 customer reviews
    | 572 answered questions

#1 Best Sellerin Computer Trackballs

Was: $27.99
    Price: $24.99 | FREE One-Day
    Delivered tomorrow for FREE with qualifying orders over $35. Details
    You Save: $3.00 (11%)
    [​IMG]

42. I also own a favormates mini keyboard,mine is black with white keys,can't find my model.

I use it when I connect laptop to TV. It also has backlit keys,I love it and using it to type right now :D

If you decide to buy one,just make sure you get one with backlit keys,sometimes the models don't specify backlit so be aware. Also has touch pad .

They really do work just as good as regular size keyboard.

----------------------------------------------------------

Favormates
    Favormates 2.4GHz Colorful Backlit Wireless Mini Keyboard H9 Pro, Mouse Touchpad Combo, Best Remote Control For Android tv box,HTPC,IPTV,PC,Raspberry pi 3,Pad and More Device
    395 customer reviews
    | 104 answered questions

Sale: $13.99 | FREE One-Day
    Delivered tomorrow for FREE with qualifying orders over $35. Details

Buy 2, get 5% off 2 Applicable Promotion(s)

[​IMG]

Here's a pic with hands to give you an idea of the size.

[​IMG]

43. Thanks, I check the 4K's but it is probably more than I need.

The laptop I have now is low-end, a basic 15 inch HP with no outstanding qualities.

It's only 10 months old and it is failing me already. It cuts off automatically 2,3 times every evening. I took it to Best Buy and they said it was a software problem and I was on my own.
    It's frustrating because I bought it at BB and this is the third time I have taken it to them for performance issues. Back in June they replaced the motherboard, wifi card and the screen. They (HP) damn near replaced the entire laptop but it only lasted 4 months before it has begun to fail me again.

I may as well replace it now while I am still in control and can transfer files etc...

I'll check out the 1080P's and see what I can find. Hopefully, it will last longer than the one I have now.

44. I'll tell you exactly what's causing the problem, it's the Thermal compound 100% sure I am.

I had same problem with my older laptop (one I'm on now) opened it up,clean it out and clear fan from dust. Nope,didn't solve the problem,would constantly shut down several times a day.

Searched the web and was told to clean the old compound and apply fresh.When I opened it I was shocked how little was left and what was left was so dried up and hard.

It was (CPU )overheating and shutting down automatically .

I reapplied fresh compound on CPU about 3 months ago and never had another shutdown. While I had it open,I also applied fresh thermal compound on every chip/heatsinks.

All you have to do is clean the CPU and remove the old caked up dried compound (whatever is left) and lay down some fresh thermal compound.

These huge laptop companies are notorious for going cheap on the thermal compound and rarely ever placed correctly or too much or too little.So a new motherboard will only last a few months with the low end laptop,then the problem reappears .

Sometimes they say they replaced MB when they didn't. What they do is turn it on and if it works they send it back because they couldn't replicate the problem. They aren't going to watch one laptop for hours to see if it fails. They'll run it for a few minutes or more and that's it.

You should have demanded a BRAND NEW LAPTOP.

There are videos on youtube to show you how to do it,its very easy.

I guarantee you this is the problem. So many people junking their laptops for no reason,there are fixes out there. Most at BB don't have a clue and they don't change thermal compound.They either swap parts and if that doesn't work,they say its a software problem . They don't repair,just swap parts.

If you want,give me your model and I go look for videos for your model and find manual how to open it and locate your cpu to apply fresh compound.

This is the thermal compound I used,highly rated.

-----------------------------------------------
    Thermal Grizzly
    Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste - 1.0 Gram
    174 customer reviews
    | 10 answered questions

Price: $11.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Get $40 off instantly: Pay $0.00 upon approval for the Amazon.com Store Card.
    Note: Available at a lower price from other sellers, potentially without free Prime shipping.

In Stock.

45. If you decide not to open laptop and apply fresh compound ,delete everything on laptop and send it to me. I'll fix it for you for free and send it back to you.

This way you have a back up laptop.

You just pay for shipping.

I'm more than happy to help.

46. When comparing laptops, place each laptops options side by side. Pay special attention to the details especially when comparing video cards and quad core technology. for example what stands out most when looking at the dell posted and the MSI, both have quad core but the MSI is a newer more powerful version, its an i7-7700 HQ, and the better video card, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics, 16GB system memory and its brand new.
    not saying mine is bigger or badder, since I'm still shopping for one, but when spending the bucks, I try to get the most for my money. Cheers:thumbsup:

47. If you want, private message me with your email address. I can take a screenshot on my laptop of the entire screen. I'll send you the picture so when you try opening it, you'll see how much more I can fit on my screen (because you will have to scroll to see all corners of my screen).

It's quite a big difference.

I would highly advise you to avoid 4k though (2160p). Most applications do not scale correctly above 1080p or 1440p (widescreen). You can tinker a bit and get them to scale right but it's going to be a hassle for the majority of people.

If you don't mind spending a little money on an external monitor, take a look at the Dell U3417w. It's a beautiful 34 inch computer monitor that is slightly curved. I can fit SO much on my screen, there's no need for an additional one unless your already a multi-monitor user. I went from 2 monitors to this. The screen resolution is 3440x1440p.

Laptops - Minimum 1920x1080
    Desktop monitors - Minimum 1920x1080p; prefer higher resolutions though. Again, I would recommend shying away from 3840x2160p (4k) or higher.

Also, if you just want to message me with an approx budget I can try giving suggestions based off your budget. I really enjoy looking at electronics so I don't mind at all :)

48. Hey sorry I didn't see there was another page to this thread before I sent the last response.

What kind of outstanding qualities do you want? What trading platform are you using? Are you using it only for trading?

If you're on your last nerve with the laptop then let's try installing linux on it before you buy a new one. That's usually a very quick way to find out if it's a software issue you're experiencing or hardware. Linux, for the most part, is flawless on HP laptops. Are you running Win10 or 7?

If you're OK with the laptop performance (aside from the issues you're experiencing) then spend the money on an external monitor and add RAM. We can have a further conversation about this off the thread if you prefer.

49. Touch screens are gimmicky. You'll rarely use it unless you purchase a Microsoft Surface Book pro because it turns to a tablet. I don't know anyone who uses a touch screen laptop, even if they have the feature, because your fingerprints get everywhere and it becomes impossible to see the screen.

I also hate touchpads.
    [​IMG]

Logitech MX Master

Best freaking mouse in the world. You can reprogram almost every button on the mouse however you want with a very convenient Logitech App.

The link above is for the 1st version of the mouse. The newest version came out but it's $30 more. If you buy the 1st version, get the extra warranty since people have complained about the mouse wheel having issues. I purchased it at Best Buy just for that reason. I didn't want to deal with Amazon on a warranty issue 6-12 months from now.

OK - I am done blowing up this thread until someone else responds.

50. BINGO!

I stopped by BB during lunch and picked up some thermal paste like you recommended.
    I have heard of the paste, but I have never used it because it was never necessary.
    I removed the fan like I saw in a youtube video and applied the new paste. I had a lot leftover so I put it everywhere else I thought it might do some good. ... without damaging the PC.

Then I huffed and puffed, blew the dust from the fan and replaced everything.

It works like a charm now.
    The fan runs so quiet I can't hear it and the PC has not cut off on me yet.
    My connectivity has improved as well. It could be a coincidence, but the results are real. I have 4 bars instead of 2 or 3.

I asked for a new computer because last week was the third time I had returned it in the 10 months I have owned it. BB checked the diagnostics, but they said it was not a hardware problem so they would not send it off to be repaired by HP. They said it was a software problem and I must have improperly updated something etc....

I told him that I thought I deserved a new replacement or a dollar amount to be attributed to a new one from BB. But, they told me HP would not replace it and BB would not do it unless I had an extended warranty with BB. They said BB would replace it at their expense if I turned it in for repairs 3X.

But I did not have the extended warranty because I have generally regarded them as wasteful.

Anyhow, everything seems to be working now. Like a charm:)

BTW, if anyone reading this has not had the pleasure of dealing with thermal paste, be careful. After I reassembled my laptop, I looked around and found paste everywhere on the top, sides and bottom of my PC. That stuff is sneaky, I did not even realize it was on my hands. It comes off easy enough with a wet washcloth, but it would have been easier to just be neater and pay attention to what I was doing......lol

Many thanks for your help !

51. I think my next one will be a 1080P
    You said something about tinkering with the 4K.
    If you have a flat screen TV with 1080P or 4K you can calibrate the settings to get the best picture. I have never considered this before but I wonder if you can adjust the settings on a PC with 1080P or 4K to improve the picture. Or, does it not matter because we sit so close to them that it won't make a difference.

52. 1080P will work right away. You won’t need to tinker with anything.

When you go to 4K, you’ll need rescale your apps. It’ll be near impossible to read text with some apps that are not programmed for it. I could go on...but I just think it’s too much of a PITA unless you’re a gamer or have a really big screen to connect to (like a TV). Maybe it makes a difference per manufacturer but my experience turned me away from 4K.

I love my ultra wide. I want another one but it’s overkill.

53. It's also roughly 60% more expensive here in Norway, so considering that it's not an equal comparison.

The Lenovo I linked does have an i7 7700HQ Quad Core, 16 GB RAM and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050.

So, I'm thinking it actually might be cost effective when I compare it to some other laptops in the same price range and even higher priced ones.

54. 17 inch Walmart laptop 2.2ghz-$179. Adding 4gb ram-$56. Additional 21 inc monitor off CL-$25. I'm a discretionary, day trader not programming or running automation so this works great for about $250.

55. I ended up buying the Lenovo I mentioned just above here. I hope it's a good purchase. Haven't got it yet. Thanks to everyone who replied and helped out.

Would probably have gotten the HP I first linked to if not. :)

56. Hi, I see a couple of the dells that just seem to say that the resolution is 1080p. I can't seem to find the first number anywhere. Would that meet the minimum that you are indicating or do I need to find that first number as well? If I had the computer I could just look it up under Settings but I am just reading advertising info/specs.

Thank you.