Trading international options from the US

Discussion in 'Options' started by beerntrading, May 9, 2018.

1. Specifically, I want to trade equity options in Hong Kong as a US resident / citizen.

It appears that US brokers are prohibited from offering these products to retail US customers, but there's no specific prohibition against US residents trading these instruments. Is that correct? And if so, is there a (relatively simple) way for US customers to trade internationally listed options?

2. Eagerly awaiting Bob's response! He seems to always nail these!

beerntrading likes this.
  3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Sorry, I have little knowledge of international markets, access and laws. My focus in on US. I can't understand why you can't find enough opportunities here with all the symbols we have in the US markets, but it's you money.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    beerntrading likes this.
  4. mmt

mmt

InteractiveBrokers of HK stock options

5. believezz

believezz

may i know what strategies you plan to employ for HK eq options and why HK specifically? my focus is also HK and planning to further focus into HK equity options as well.

6. It's less about good opportunities than it is about better opportunities. Thanks as always (and fwiw, it's actually a 2015 post of yours that informed my post here when I finally refined my Google search enough...hence the thread's eagerness for your reply, no doubt). I'll look into CitiHK.
    Just a chart that is slapping me in the face screaming "buy me!!!"...and options giving me the ability to limit my losses without active intervention on my part while I'm sleeping.

I can trade the shares outright, but it halves my position size...

7. doesn't IB have a ticker box clearance for Hong Kong index and options,, always just a text away as thats how I always communicate with them. did you look under permission and click Asia yet??

interested though what you want to trade specifically as no one talks about this! I am getting interested to trade HSI if I can soon

check this, under options is lists available options to trade?? this list here also shows apparently tradable products in Asia ?

8. Those are for index options. I'm looking for equity options (which I suppose I could have included in the thread title). You can get the equity option data feeds, but can't trade them.