trading forex and futures same platform?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by view_view, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Can someone tell me that is there any brokerage which can let u trade both forex and futures with the same universal account and with the same platform?

Thanks

2. Interactive Brokers should allow both. There will not be many if any others. Most firm specialize in one or the other. Futures brokers compete with forex because you can trade currencies in both.

3. thanks,

Can u tell me is it possible with interactive to hedge EC futures with EurUsd forex from the same account? thats what i am looking for.

4. thanks,

Can u tell me is it possible with interactive to hedge EC futures with EurUsd forex from the same account? thats what i am looking for.

5. I am not sure. You might want to start a thread on that. I didn't have my account there long at all. I only trade futures and found a better futures only broker. There are alot of IB experts on ET, I am not one. def, his screen name is an IB employee. Look him up and pm him.

6. Thanks

7. Yes, easily. Just don't count on getting a margin break on your perfect futures / spot hedge, as one might expect.

8. I kinda didnt get it, can u kindly explain what u meant by that sir?

9. What I mean is that if you are, say, long 20 EC contracts and short 2.5M EUR/USD, your total required margin at IB will still be the sum of the two individual required margins, last time I checked. Even though the risk at the account level is small -- primarily operational / exchange risks, rather than (negligible) adverse price movement risk.

By contrast, some of those forex market makers (which IB is not, and that's a good thing) that allow hedging will reduce your required margin in half, when you put on two opposite, offsetting trades in the same currency pair. As it should be.

10. Yes I agree but if u are Long and Short both with the same gain/loss per tick, that means if u are winning on EC u are losing the same on EUR or vice versa, the funds would be still the same. Dont u think so? I just want to hedge it to get the intrst paid daily if u know what i mean.

#10     Mar 15, 2007