Trading can be learned alone?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Jfranco_2003, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Hi, do you think that someone can learn trading by himself? Needs only books? Or is necessary a mentor or any people who help you to be a consistent trader.

What do you think about courses, schools and people who are teaching and learning trading like a comunity?

How do you learned trading and you are now a profitable trader?
    Thanks you:)
    Jf

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Peter8519

Peter8519

It would be good to have a friend to share experience. But to master it, it's a lonely endeavor.

A major part is self discovery of one's personality. I started out with a friend and we ended up in divergence(manual vs automation). Personally, I find that learning is hard especially the first few years. A community will make it worse as it pulls one in all direction. It is an irony to have consistency in a random world. Training in trading... we have to beat the shit out the monkey in our brain in order to make it behave. This will take a long time at least for me.

tictoc, remogul92 and Jfranco_2003 like this.
  3. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

Trading what though? Mileage on self-study will vary on the person's learning style and the learning curve for each realm of trading.

4. djay

djay

You will need someone to hand hold you for a few months.

Find someone who been in the market for sometime, whom you have confidence in both his knowledge and trading.

Your profitability solely depends on your risk management and not repeating mistakes. Be prepared for atleast year or two of a loss. That is the tuition you pay for the market.

And of course read.. read .. read

murray t turtle and Jfranco_2003 like this.
  5. padutrader

padutrader

i needed only one book
    Al Brooks first book.
    it is most comprehensive coverage and explanation of markets-almost an encyclopedia.
    incidentally i read my first TA book in 1994 but the minute i found Al's book i was fascinated by it :i was not the only one it was a best seller
    but it took me 12 years to understand and apply it.
    now i wonder why it took so long.

Jfranco_2003 likes this.
  6. %% NO, not really a good idea to learn by yourself.
    Better buy some books or a library card. Courses can be worth it+ i learn better live/people; but they are so overpriced, IBD, for example, i buy or borrow books. Having bought few STOCK Traders Almanac; i order /borrrow some thru library.........................................................

Much better to invest; easier to tun that into a trade sometimes, rather than VICE-VERSA

7. padutrader

padutrader

that is a brilliant sugesstion
    i invested for 10 years before i leveraged.
    it does give you an idea what markets may, can and does do

murray t turtle likes this.
  8. padutrader

padutrader

i think all traders have that bitter experience at some time or other:D

a day trade becomes a 5 year 'investment'

murray t turtle and Jfranco_2003 like this.
  9. Omg It's true jajajajajaja I always have wished to have a friend who loves the markets like me to talk and share experience about trading.

10. Orbiter

Orbiter

I know it’s possible as I personally did learn it alone starting with absolutely no knowledge an no help. But I wish I had a mentor to shave years of slow progress especially in my early days.

The problem is that your mentor’s style has to fit your personality. Also successful investors/traders are really hard to come by and pretty focused on what they’re doing.

Starting on your own, then looking for a mentor when you understand better your needs and creating your own style after wards might be a good approach. Give yourself a decade to get thru the entire process. Make sure you enjoy the ride and don’t let it interfere to much with the more important things in life.

#10     Oct 4, 2019