Trade log with statistics

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bashatrader, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Does anyone know of a software to keep a log a stock trades that will generate useful statistics, like drawdown, Sharpe, pf, etc. but also allow consolidation based on symbols and separate statistics for each symbol?

2. mspkash1

mspkash1

ninja trader

3. You can check this out. I hesitated getting it as it does not seem to accommodate multi-leg trades (options), but as an overall tracker it seems OK. Like in FX it tracks performance of various pairs.

http://trading-journal-spreadsheet.com/

4. xandman

xandman

Justrading,

Have you evaluated tradingdiarypro.com ? It seems to have more options functionality, but wouldn't I be able to recreate any function with tjs and excel? I think the tjs is an open platform.

5. I looked at Trading Diary Pro briefly and bookmarked it. It does appear to be more flexible, especially with regard to open trades, but I have a bias for Excel; worked with it for years now.

I have my own sheets to track trades and daily account value, but with more than one broker and multiple instruments nowadays, am seriously considering getting one of the packages, essentially paying a small fee to save myself the time and effort.

TJS could be password protected, though there is mention of allowing you to add/customise 6 sheets, which would allow me to tag on my daily tracking sheets.

TDP has a free trial so it's worth testing it before a final decision.

6. xandman

xandman

I tested the import function with optionshouse data. Though it wasn't supported, a few edits came close to a workable import. Selecting schwab and fixing column titles came closest, but all positions were long. i am waiting for support to give me better direction to complete my demo. I really like the leverage graphs as a risk indicator and return attribution analysis when I trade far otm strikes.

Tjs just made a blanket statement about imports. This is a clue that a lot of edits need to be made before you can import a years worth of options trades. I could probably replicate the tdp leverage graph or any other tdp functionality on tjs since it is excel.

Have you developed expansions on tjs functionality or are you working on completely separate workbooks? In other words, did you get new custom functions to work outside of the tjs workbook or is any modification integrated nicely into the original tjs workbook along with the pretty formatting? I am very visual.

Thanks for the reply and sorry about the wordiness.

7. I have not yet purchased anything, as thus far I am using my own sheets. I am on year end break now, but by the time I resume trading in January I would like to have a decision on which software to purchase.

How is your experience with TDP, aside from the import function? I just sent them an email asking if they plan to add an import module for OANDA. It's actually the integration of FX, with different currencies to base / P&L that got me even thinking of buying a package. I can do it in Excel for sure, but prefer to spend my time on other stuff.

I agree TJS is much nicer looking, TDP looks pretty boring but as it is SQL database, flexibility is probably its big plus point.

8. xandman

xandman

The imports defaulted to all long positions, so I didn't get meaningful analysis. Too lazy to do manual entries for now.

9. 2rosy

2rosy

you could do this with quantopian (zipline) https://www.quantopian.com/ It would take some work though. Start a http://www.kickstarter.com/ project and I'll write it :D

10. This one looks interesting but I think it is priced too high for an excel add-on. It also seems to have a number of useless bells and whistles. But looks mostly easier to use than the others.

#10     Dec 28, 2013