Track Record · Testing my system live

Discussion in 'Journals' started by 3dvg, Apr 23, 2017.

1. 3dvg

3dvg

Hi guys,

I finished my trading system last week and I'm manually testing it live. Will post weekly PnLs here. Will use this as my track record.

Realistic goal is to make 30%-50% a month, ideal goal 75%+ / month.

Details:
    - Started with $12.500 account
    - Makes 0-5 trades a day per instrument
    - Commissions included -- ($0.95 (individual fees) + ~$2.5 (all in rates))
    - 2-5 ticks slippage

Hobbs The Cat and Baron like this.
  2. Sounds doable, should be no problem!

Hobbs The Cat likes this.
  3. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

Easy peezy

4. 3dvg

3dvg

Started last week on Thursday, here's the 1st week PnL (only traded thursday and friday).

If you do the math you will see the initial account size is $12.5k = $13,291.90 - $791.90

Captura de pantalla 2017-04-21 a las 18.42.58.png

Hobbs The Cat likes this.
  5. Too conservative goals.

Handle123 likes this.
  6. Gotcha

Gotcha

Of course 50% per month sound unrealistic, but it doesn't have to be so. Most people here just don't understand that for day trading, you can't use the same metrics as for long term investing.

If we consider a 12k account, 50% would be generating 6k in profits. For a trader who knows what they are doing, trading 2 ES contracts with 6k margin for each is absolutely acceptable. So the account, theoretically, is enough.

Now in terms of profits, 6k total profits, while trading 2 contracts means 3k per contract, and assuming 20 trading days per month, this works out to $150 per day profit per contract, which is 3 ES points. Of course commissions are usually about 1/3 of a tick ($4 from the $12.50 per tick profit), so this has to be factored in, but its not going to be a strategy killer.

Now nobody will say that its easy to make 3 ES points per day, but there are traders here at ET that I'm sure average this amount.

Now do I think a new trader can do this without years of market experience? No way! But is it 100% possible mathematically and realistic in the right hands, absolutely.

_eug_, Baron and wrbtrader like this.
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Go get 'em Tiger!!! Hey, if you realistically only make 20% don't kill yourself...

8. wintergasp

wintergasp

You did not insert the only interesting metrics:
    - What is your annualized sharpe ratio with 2 ticks slippage ?
    - What is your average trade profit, excluding transaction cost ands lippage
    - What is your max drawdown
    - What is your annualized volatility
    - How many markets

9. toc

toc

Posting some performance table won't jive it.

Post real trades real time.

Max leeway given would be 30 seconds between actual trade and postings. Also mention targets and stop losses if any.

If you are truthful then enjoy more power and profits!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  10. 3dvg

3dvg

I post a couple of signals on my twitter feed, real time of course! I will work on automate this process of tweeting entries/exits so there will be <2secs delay, it also distracts me a little when there's action

#10     Apr 23, 2017