Top IRS official will invoke the 5th amendment

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., May 21, 2013.

1. Max E.

Max E.

Bunch of fucking scumbags, next time i get audited im going to see how that works out for me. Obama and and his entire administration is rotten to the core.

Top IRS official will invoke Fifth Amendment

By Richard Simon and Joseph Tanfani
    May 21, 2013, 12:15 p.m.
    WASHINGTON – A top IRS official in the division that reviews nonprofit groups will invoke the Fifth Amendment and refuse to answer questions before a House committee investigating the agency’s improper screening of conservative nonprofit groups.

Lois Lerner, the head of the exempt organizations division of the IRS, won’t answer questions about what she knew about the improper screening – or why she didn’t reveal it to Congress, according to a letter from her defense lawyer, William W. Taylor 3rd.

Lerner was scheduled to appear before the House Oversight committee Wednesday.

DOCUMENT: The Inspector General’s report on the IRS

“She has not committed any crime or made any misrepresentation but under the circumstances she has no choice but to take this course,” said a letter by Taylor to committee Chairman Darrell E. Issa, R-Calif. The letter, sent Monday, was obtained Tuesday by the Los Angeles Times.

Taylor, a criminal defense attorney from the Washington firm of Zuckerman Spaeder, said that the Department of Justice has launched a criminal investigation, and that the House committee has asked Lerner to explain why she provided “false or misleading information” to the committee four times last year.

Since Lerner won’t answer questions, Taylor asked that she be excused from appearing, saying that would “have no purpose other than to embarrass or burden her.” There was no immediate word whether the committee will grant her request.

PHOTOS: President Obama’s rough week

According to an inspector general’s report, Lerner found out in June 2011 that some staff in the nonprofits division in Cincinnati had used terms like “Tea Party” and “Patriots” to select some applications for additional screening of their political activities. She ordered changes.

But neither Lerner nor anyone else at the IRS told Congress, even after repeated queries from several committees, including House Oversight, about whether some groups had been singled out unfairly.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-top-irs-official-fifth-amendment-20130521,0,6645565.story

2. Are you going to take the 5th for being audited ?

3. The greatest thing that could happen to the US is for the the IRS to be dismantled. It won't happen, as it is a key player in the coming police state, pay up out of your sweat and blood, so they (the gov't) get paid not to serve the nation but to oppress it.

4. pspr

pspr

When one pleads the 5th before Congress, it is an admission of illegal wrong doing. Nothing more, nothing less.

5. That clause isn't in my copy of the Constitution.

6. pspr

pspr

Then I guess you will have to incriminate yourself if asked about any crime you've committed.

7. Since Lerner won’t answer questions, Taylor asked that she be excused from appearing, saying that would “have no purpose other than to embarrass or burden her.” There was no immediate word whether the committee will grant her request.

Imo, she needs to be there and plead the 5th. Secondly, perhaps she may just answer the questions.

8. Duhhh, the part where you said
    "it is an admission of illegal wrong doing. Nothing more, nothing less. "

That is the part that isn't in my copy of the constitution, I hope you're just fucking with me and you aren't really this dense.

9. ===============
    Wow; her[Lerner] lawyer sounds like a ''conservative lawyer''LOL

May not be a real big risk in her testimony anyway??
    Mr Miller,[ the outgoing IRS commisioner] said conservatives were not targeted.....[WallStreet Journal, May 21,2013]:cool:

10. Good choice,I'd tell The House to go fuck themselves as well

#10     May 21, 2013