Timmay Gets Bitch Slapped

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cstfx, Sep 21, 2007.

1. " And I don't need anything.....I need this paddle ball game. This paddle ball game and nothing else. I need my dog...I don't need my dog".

I'm picking out a thermos for Timmay.

#11     Sep 21, 2007
  2. Sounds like a good name for a rock band. "Let's give it up for the Schadenfreude" Hmnnn? Wonder if they know the "Bagholder Blues"?

#12     Sep 21, 2007
  3. cstfx

cstfx

From Trader Daily Briefing:

FRIDAY LEVITY: TRADING’S BUFFOON – THE TIM SYKES EMAILS

Sure, Tuesday’s Trader Monthly “30 Under 30” party in New York was a hot invite, with over 800 attendees, but one shudders at the length Timothy Sykes, up-and-comer turned trading laughingstock, went to try to get in. Sykes, who was on last year’s “30 Under 30” list, and then tried painfully to brand himself as a financial expert and bon vivant, while his small hedge fund began losing money with uncanny monthly regularity. Behold, unedited and in full, the Timothy Sykes grovel chain:
    Morning Call: September 21

> From: Tim Sykes (“President”, Cilantro Fund Management)
    > Date: Monday, September 17, 2007 2:13 PM
    > To: Randall Lane, Editor-in-Chief, Trader Monthly
    > Subject: Sykes 30 under 30 Party
    >

Randall-

Just got off the phone with Rachel and she said I am no longer welcome at the '30 under 30' party tomorrow night because 'I made a mockery' of the list last year. Even though I've definitely gone my own way, I definitely don't think that's the case as thanks to the popularity of my TV show, I've gotten thousands of emails from people have been inspired by my story and now are looking to get into trading. My book was just published a few days ago and once you read it, I think you'll understand me a whole lot better.

Anyway, I'd love to attend the party tomorrow night as I have already invited about a dozen trader friends and friends in the media to toast this year's newest members!

> From: Tim Sykes
    > Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:34:26
    > To: Randall Lane
    > Subject: Re: Sykes 30 under 30 Party
    >

Randall--

Rich emailed me saying you're holding firm that you don't want me there tomorrow night, but let me just try to change your mind because this last minute notification that I'm disinvited has put me in a jam.

1. Rachel and I talked / emailed last week about me coming and she was fine with it, so I made plans to meet up with nearly a dozen friends. Some of these people I haven't seen in a very long time and we've been talking all weekend about what we'll do after the party.For me to bail on them at the last second would be extremely rude.

2. I will have no cameras and will not be covering the party for my new jobs as reporter for TheStreet.com (I'll be starting as a writer in a few weeks) and MSN Money (I am their goto video guy). I'll be low-key, really.

3. I invited 2 female friends who went out and bought new dresses for this event. I don't know how to explain it to them that I can't attend with them.

4. While you guys seem to think 'I've made a mockery of the list' with my eccentric behavior, other media outlets now recognize me as a finance expert / personality. Sure I have an ego, but my position is backed by CNBC (7 appearances since the beginning of the year), CNN (I debated greed with the most powerful religious leaders last month), FOX (I was on Cavuto on July 4th), Oprah and Friends Radio (they loved my book and are having me on in a few weeks), Young Money (I will be their cover story for their October issue, Penthouse (I will have a feature story in their Christmas issue), and Wiley (they offered me a $35k advance for my book).

5. You guys are took a pretty good shot at me in this latest issue so even if you really believe I somehow embarrassed you last year, I consider us even.

So please, give me a chance, once you read my book and see what I'm trying to accomplish with my life, you'll see I'm not such a bad guy.

Tim

Timothy Sykes | President | Cilantro Fund Management, LLC

> From: Randall Lane
    > Date: 2007/09/18 Tue PM 12:42:13 EDT
    > To: Tim Sykes
    > Subject: Re: Sykes 30 under 30 Party
    >

> Tim,
    >
    > Acclaim comes with performance. While you've been busily self-promoting, your track record this past year for yourself and your investors has been pitiful. Laughably horrid. If you ever again become a real trader, rather than ignore the hard work required to instead play one on tv, you'll be welcome in our community. Until then, including today, we will have nothing to do with you, as we celebrate those who actually perform versus those who pretend to. > > RL

> From: Tim Sykes
    > Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 1:01 PM
    > Subject: Re: Re: Sykes 30 under 30 Party
    >

Thank you for your honesty, but I wish you had read the book I sent you guys. you would discover that ALL MY LOSSES have been caused not by trading, but because I entered into an illiquid stock that I have not been able to sell. I am unable to raise any money, unable to take any trading risk so all I can do is take advantage of my publicity efforts and turn that into my new career. I am a trader in the truest sense in that I am willing to trade professions to adapt to my environment. I wish you had taken the time to understand the specifics before drawing faulty conclusions.

Tim

> > From: Tim Sykes
    > Date: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:55 PM
    > Subject: Re: Re: Sykes 30 under 30 Party
    >

Now that I've had a little time to calm down and reflect, here is my response:

You should be ashamed of yourself for writing such a spiteful email to me. If you’d read the complimentary copy of my new book ‘An American Hedge Fund’ that I sent you, you’d understand that during my time in the public spotlight, there has literally been no way for me to stem my fund’s losses. Instead, you chose to condemn me without first looking into the details. What kind of a journalist are you? How dare you say I’m not hard working! As you sip your overpriced champagne on your oversized yacht (courtesy of your advertisers), I’ve been working 20-hour days trying to claw my way out of the hole I find myself in while also nurturing a budding career in financial journalism.

Thanks to the success of my TV show, I have been inundated with questions from people who want to know more about trading and hedge funds. Perhaps if you’d done a better job as editor-in-chief of a magazine that purportedly reports on the lives of traders, the public wouldn’t be so overwhelmingly lost, and I could’ve gone on quietly managing my tiny fund. But as it is, people are turning to me because they see that I’m a person who tells it like it. So, no, I will not ignore them.

Your misguided argument is a shining example of what’s wrong with Wall Street: a lack of humility and transparency. I don’t blame you personally—you’re merely a byproduct of your generation and the Wall Street establishment, an establishment I aim to change.

You see, I used to think like you—I wanted to make the most money the fastest. I derided anybody who wasn’t earning as much as me, writing them off as lazy or incompetent. Since I wanted to get ahead, I learned to be selfish because in this game, nobody was going to do me any favors. While others were busy studying, I was earning hundreds of thousands of dollars per year and my ego was comparable to yours (maybe). As you know, I was successful in my quest for wealth, but it was inevitable that my narrow-mindedness would eventually catch up to me.

Now, as you say, my fund’s performance has been ‘laughably horrid’ and I am wiser for it. While unfortunate, these losses have made me an infinitely better person and I am forever changed. Instead of curling up in a shell as you apparently believe would be appropriate, I intend on showcasing my losses, so that others may learn from my mistakes and not be condemned to repeat them. To help people truly learn about all the risks and rewards associated with financial speculation, I will use my self-promotional skills to the fullest, cutting through the superficial and ultimately harmful lifestyle you so proudly promote.

Randall, as much as I used to want to be a part of your trader community, I’ve now experienced how you treat people when they are down—it's disgusting. No, I've outgrown your juvenile ways. Unlike your frivolous magazine, my book celebrates trading not just for its ability to create great wealth, but also for its potential to teach great lessons—lessons you seemingly look down upon.

Apparently, you’ve forgotten that traders, especially those of us under the age of 30, are works in progress. And when you turn your back on a fellow trader, you turn your back on trading itself. And when you turn on trading, you no longer are worthy of running a magazine called 'Trader Monthly.' Perhaps you should change the title to a more fitting description, 'Traitor Monthly.'

Sincerely,

Timothy Sykes\

Putz. (emphasis mine.)

#13     Sep 21, 2007
  4. Who reads this shitty Trader Montly magazine.. All I saw was ads for overpriced junk.

I burned my first copy.

#14     Sep 21, 2007
  5. "Unlike your frivolous magazine,"

Tsk Tsk.

#15     Sep 21, 2007
  6. cstfx

cstfx

Apparently he thought the mag was relevant.

#16     Sep 21, 2007
  7. "I'm looking for a thermos, not an ordinary thermos, for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

LMAO seems I unearthed some fond Steve Martin memories lol!!

#17     Sep 21, 2007
  8. <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/94EU9W0QUco"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/94EU9W0QUco" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

#18     Sep 21, 2007
  9. EPrado

EPrado

All I can say is WOW. I saw the write up in The Post this morning before I came on here. Well.....Tim wanted some publicity...now he got it. Not sure it's the kind he wants as The Post really made him look bad.

The emails between him and TM are great.....I love the one where he whines about not be invited and caries on about how some chick friends of his bought new dresses.....like its some kind of disaster....tell the broads to return them.

#19     Sep 21, 2007
  10. At least Sykes is managing money. TM is such a rag. The guy from FIG was fired before making the cover... was his invite pulled as well?

#20     Sep 21, 2007