Time to replace my ancient system ...need some help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RedBull, Jul 31, 2014.

1. RedBull

RedBull

so, I have an old dell that's been my dedicated trading computer for the last 12yrs.

Specs (cuz im sure you all will get a good laugh) pentium 4 2.25ghz 1.0 gb ram 1 agp 64mb nvida geforce 440 2 pci nvida 32mb 400mx's 3 monitors and a partridge in a pear tree.

I run TS and IB tws on this setup and it still does the job. (I trade some stocks but mostly ES or NQ in the morning ...somewhere around 5-20 trades per morning) BUT, it's time for a new system.

Here are some specs my friend suggested (computer dude) but he's more of a gamer type. I need something stable and doesn't break. I don't need the latest and greatest. It just has to be reliable.

Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit thinking I'd do better with windows 7 since im used to this windwos XP interface.

Tuneup Utilities 2013 - 1 PC not sure what the hell this is

COUGAR Archon Black Computer Case
    Item #:N82E16811553013

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 100358-2L Video Card

Kingston HyperX 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory

LITE-ON DVD Burner SATA Model iHAS124-14

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1150 Quad-Core Desktop Processor

ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Item #:N82E16813157387

CORSAIR CXM series CX430M 430W Power Supply

Western Digital WD Black WD5003AZEX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

bottom line - i would like to spend under $1k ...like I said I don't need the latest and greatest. like to run 3-4 monitors. This computer isn't going to do anything else except play youtube vids and store family pictures on it.

thank you in advance.

2. NoBias

NoBias

No need to re invent the wheel

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?t=283797

Dell outlet

SSD for operating system & programs [C: drive ]
    "Win7 - 64 bit" [my preference] /// "Win8 - 64 bit" should be fine as well

Conventional hard drive data storage [D: drive ]

Add some ram. [it is inexpensive]

Second video card if you desire to run more than 2 monitors.

MSE for antivirus, malwarebytes for malware scan/removal

No PC health software, it is junk. [ref: PC Tune up]

** ccleaner if your are comfortable using it, can cause more harm than good if not careful**

Should serve you well...

3. rwk

rwk

I mostly agree with NoBias, except that I have lost interest in SSD for a desktop system because of price and reliability. SSD is good for laptops because of shock resistance and better battery life.

I bought a Dell Inspiron with i5 processor and Win8 from Staples on sale for around $450 as I recall. I returned it for refund, not because of the Metro interface that everybody hates, but because I had too much old software that would not run on Win8 due to tightened security. I loved the hardware and hated to part with it.

4. easymon1

easymon1

What a beautifully simple response.
    Winston and Dr Scat recomendations serve 80% of us who just want to Plug in, Trade on.

5. still using this ebay sellers computer [4+ years or so]
    4 monitors, 2 video cards

my only complaint is, with 6 fans it's noisy!
    [although I solved that by putting the case in another room]

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item...3b8f219&pt=Desktop_PCs&_ssn=nexgenllc&_sop=15

they seem to be using all the latest technology,
    some have SSD,
    and offer many configurations and prices

I would still recommend Dell to my relatives [non traders]

marc
    :)

6. If you want to keep the price low, you can get a used Dell Precision T3500 with Win7 on eBay for $250-$500 or so. It will do everything you want. Something like this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precis...1468224706?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item2a40595cc2

Even has 2 video cards already to run 4 monitors.

If you want to spend ~$1K, on something new... suggest Dell's Outlet site for Dell Precision T3600/T3610. If the unit comes with W8, you can replace it with W7.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  7. Branos

Branos

I see that many years have passed since that issue, were you able to obtain good system for yourself anyway or not ? Please do explain this all to me ? How does it matter to you know ? Any laptop with business Windows 10 should do the task really.

8. apdxyk

apdxyk

Are you alive? Please, don't say 'no'...