This Is How You Start to Fix Congress

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DemZad, Oct 19, 2011.

1. 1. TERM LIMITS
    12 years only, one of the possible options below.

A. Two Six-year Senate terms
    B. Six Two-year House terms
    C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms

2. NO PENSION
    A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

3. CONGRESS (past, present & future) PARTICIPATES in SOCIAL SECURITY
    All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system and Congress participates with the American people.

4. CONGRESS CAN PURCHASE THEIR OWN RETIREMENT PLAN
    Just like each and every other American.

5. CONGRESS WILL NO LONGER VOTE THEMSELVES a PAY RAISE
    Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 2.5%.

6. CONGRESS LOSES THEIR CURRENT HEALTH CARE SYSTEM
    Congress will participate in the same health care system as the American people.

7. CONGRESS MUST EQUALLY ABIDE by ALL LAWS
    No special exemptions or treatment.

8. ALL CONTRACTS WITH PAST AND PRESENT CONGRESSMEN ARE VOID
    Effective 1/1/12.

http://www.dailymarkets.com/stock/2011/01/07/american-mandate-congressional-reform-act-of-2011/

I especially like #7, since, as an example, it is perfectly legal for members of Congress (and their aides?) to trade on insider information.

http://weakonomics.com/2011/05/27/congress-gets-to-trade-insider-information/

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

We'll probably have to storm the building in force and lynch the current congress before any of these great ideas are implemented.

3. term limits is not the answer. you just end up with a bunch of morons like the republican class of 2011. they have done absolutly nothing useful. they have,however, managed to get 7 votes on abortion bills.

maybe its time to scrap the whole system as a representative republic and devise a democratic electronic one man one vote system.

4. Won't help.

1) Dead people vote Democrat.

2) My vote is for sale

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

maybe not by themselves but it would be a major improvement
    as if the democraps are faultless fucking geniuses? Career politicians created most of our problems moron.
    Things are so bad I'd certainly consider it. It would theoretically eliminate/reduce lobbyist and corporate influence on government. There are downsides though, if I'm not mistaken those downsides are a primary reason the founding fathers created a republic in the first place. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

6. We don't need career politicians imho. There is a greater chance of them being corrupted.

I am in agreement that the system needs an overhaul.