Thinkorswim very slow connection from China

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by emk662, Apr 1, 2014.

1. emk662

emk662

Does anyone has experienced thinkorswim's slow connection? I try to connect from China, both the webtrader, or the desktop, or papermoney, but with no success. The charts cannot be loaded, for example. I called its customer service, and they give me some ip addresses, but they are not helpful.
    Do you have any connection problems elsewhere? how about in USA?

2. mokwit

mokwit

Having issues with TWS in Thailand. Some are saying rerouting due to Philippines cable problem is causing the problems.

3. I had a bad connection from Asia, nothing helped so i just gave up and moved to Sterling

4. ch0c

ch0c

Maybee because TOS is an american product, its servers located in america, and maybee because mainland chinese internet is filtered (The Great Firewall)

Get yourself an American VPN then complain to your ISP if that doesnt work.

5. ncw

ncw

I see this thread is a bit old, here's an update from my experience. I can use thinkorswim mobile (iOS) in mainland China without a VPN pretty good. Not as fast as in US/Canada but still ok. I have a VPN for my phone but TOS mobile is faster without one.

TOS desktop platform unfortunately I have much more trouble with. I have arguably the best VPN which is great for everything except TOS. Not sure why, there have been a few times I've logged in but it is painfully slow. Most times can't even get to the login screen.

6. luisHK

luisHK

Curious what's the best VPN at the moment, been in the mainland on and off those past few weeks and having a hard time with internet. Worse than before summer, with or without VPN, suspect my wifi connection is getting old or at least problematic as well.

7. ncw

ncw

Using Express VPN, overall not bad. It's a bit more expensive than others but dug up a small discount from some third party link. Can do pretty much everything with ok speed except watch youtube in 720p or more

8. luisHK

luisHK

Oh... using Express here as well, been struggling with it since coming back, especially on the desktop, even IB Tws is having troubles - yet apparently less than TOS.
    But thanks for the update, some issues might come from my set up as well although on good days youtube videos do load well.