Theta capture on weeklies for daytrade

Discussion in 'Options' started by turkeyneck, Aug 13, 2015.

1. What strategy works best to capture the theta at the open and end of the day for daytrade? I can't think of anything other than selling naked. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  2. Your selling gamma collecting thetas... Just a note... Gamma exponentializes near expiration... Convexity to a high degree going against you...I did this kind of thing started out.. I quite before it really hurt me...

3. I'm looking at DOTM current week weeklies and the gamma should be small in the 0.0x range.

4. ... until something unexpected happens and you're wiped out. The probability is > 0

cdcaveman likes this.
  5. Look at July's OpEx as an example of what can happen...The Nasdaq rallied almost 7% from the Thursday lows the week prior to OpEx...I'm sure the far OTM calls were selling for peanuts...

cdcaveman likes this.
  6. this is a pure example of gamma explosion.. it's actually the risk best to be long not short..

7. yeah completely agree.

samuel11 likes this.
  8. Maybe he could do a backspread, (not that I trade those very often)...would have worked well in July, but that "pin risk" on those very short term options would scare me off...still better than the naked DOTM options strategy.

9. Selling pennies, buying dollars. Not such a good idea.

:)

#10     Aug 13, 2015