The vertical flip experiment

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by insomniactrader, Mar 2, 2020.

1. ok so this might seem a little off the wall, but I have an inexplicable fear of shorting. Consequently I've missed many exceptional opportunities to profit from that. I trade the YM. Seems when the index futures fall they do so faster and deeper than they rise (anyone who has good info to the contrary please correct me on this).

So, here's what I'm looking for - does anyone here know if any platform has the capability to vertically flip both the price ladder (DOM) and chart? (y-axis inversion) My theory is, if I not only flip those but maybe even reverse the colors of the bars/DOM fields, it would help 'rewire' my brain to look for and be less hesitant to pull the trigger on short trades.

I did find out how to flip my monitor image but that presents some problems of its own. But anyway are there platforms where this can be done?

Thanks.

2. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

Gravity.....No I am not aware of a platform that will do what you described.

3. Thanks Ilan. Still waiting for responses! I do think a feature like that would be great to add to any platform. For those with my problem, it could be a game-changer.

CannonTrading_Ilan likes this.
  4. trdes

trdes

Just be careful and be able to discern when you're doing it for the right reasons and the wrong reasons. Meaning there's might be legitimate reason's why you're scared to be short and some of the reasons may be unfounded.

Short is generally harder to time and often if you don't cover profits, price can rebound very swiftly against you. Markets are also naturally bullish bias and not to mention we've been in an exceptional bull run. Also in my experience most indicators have a more difficult time with short setups ,than long setups.

This doesn't feel like I am explaining what I mean very well. I guess in english just trying to say some of the reasons you are fearful of shorting, may actually be based on sound reasons. So, just make a list of reasons why and maybe that will help you decipher.

Sorry if this is a waste of time lol.

5. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

upload_2020-3-2_21-16-19.png

Edit:

Sounds like you’ve already found ...

6. Thanks trdes, not a waste of time at all! You've made valid points. I will say that I've long since lost count of the number of times I've had to 'cover my longs'! I still want to try it though, if I find a platform that can do it. I'd of course let everyone here know how it works out.

7. Yup Sekiyo, but as I was saying there are problems with that, one I noticed right away- the cursor moves opposite from how I move my hand. And I think also the text and everything else is upside down. But the contrary cursor movement might present another 'brain re-wiring' problem!

8. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

Yes.

Actually I didn't expect you to have concidered this.
    Obviously there are limitations such as the ones you've cited.

On a more serious note.
    You might try to get used to it the hard way.
    Short but with little exposure, build confidence,
    And increase your size while growing at your ease.

9. trdes

trdes

This is exactly what I meant by shorts.... sure market may go lower but nq 400+ point up today. So anyone who held short or still looking short, not only missed the longs but missed out on covering profits and etc.

And if anyone has so much capital they can hold through 400+ points and not care, than I will bow out vs them because that's way out reasonability for me.

10. Good points. Not as if I'd never been burned going short! Last week was a good example of that - the markets were so panicky I should've stayed away regardless of direction. Volatility was not my friend, when you use tight stops of 10-20 ticks and the market rapidly jerks up/down upwards of 100 ticks within a minute, it's time to back away from that minefield and sit it out. The emini futures being open 22/6 presents an opportunity to pick and choose the best times to pull the trigger.

#10     Mar 2, 2020