The Twitter accounts investors need to follow in 2017

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by vanzandt, Dec 21, 2016.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

Lifted these from an article on marketwatch.

No particular order.

1. @Schuldensuehner — Berlin-based Holger Zschaepitz, self-described “market maniac” for Germany’s Die @Welt. The senior editor at the economic and financial desk tweets a few good charts out daily on markets, such as all-rounders like this one:

2. @LizAnnSonders — The chief investment strategist of Charles Schwab & Co. is a must-follow, who shares her thoughts on the economy and markets. Also follow her colleagues @KathyJones, chief fixed-income strategist and @JeffreyKleintop, chief global investment strategist.

3. @NorthmanTrader — Chartist who goes by “Northy” waxes wise on markets and technicals on his website here. Some of his tweets are locked, but he sneaks out a few that are always worth a look. You can also find him guesting at MarketWatch from time to time under his real name, Sven Henrich.

4. @Frances_Coppola — Former banker, she tweets about economics, finance, a fair bit on Europe, and blogs here.

5. @bySamRo — The managing editor of @YahooFinance passes along what he sees and is busy “making business news great again.”

6. @ErikFossing — Erik Fossing Nielsen, group chief economist at UniCredit, is a good follow to line up if you want to keep a grip on the year in European politics. Events in 2017 may turn out to be a big black swan for global financial markets.

7. @GaveKalCapital — The investment team at Gavekal Capital puts out updates from their pretty informative blog, and there’s always a decent chart tossed in.

8. @CiovaccoCapital — Chris Ciovacco, founder and CEO of Ciovacco Capital Management, is a wise voice in the fintweet community. He posts a lot about the S&P 500 (always with a chart that makes you go “hmmm”) and blogs here.

9. @JLyonsFundMGMT — Dana Lyons, partner at J. Lyons Fund Management, runs this feed and can always be counted on to deliver an insightful chart or a trend you might have overlooked

10. @TDANSherrod — Nicole Sherrod, the managing director of trading at TD Ameritrade, posts on Twitter about top trades, charts on sector performance, schools on patterns, and similar topics. As well as on human stuff:

11. @SconsetCapital — Timothy Connolly, founder of Sconset Capital Management, is one of the few followed by Chanos. Connolly uses lots of CAPS and “!!!” in his tweets, but he tells it like it is, usually in two words or fewer. This wiseguy blogs as well.

12. @Samir_Madani — If you are watching global oil prices and OPEC action, then you’d be mad not to follow Samir (Sam) Madani, oil trader and co-founder of the #OOTT (Organization of Oil Trading Tweeters). Stockholm-based Madani seems to know everything about oil and everyone in the industry.

13. @Amena__Bakr — Checking out who these top fintweet accounts follow themselves is a great way to cover all the bases. Madani, for one, follows Bakr, Energy Intelligence Group’s Gulf energy correspondent. If there is an OPEC meeting going, she’s all over it. So check that box.

While you’re at it, those hungry for oil updates should follow Bloomberg’s chief energy correspondent @JavierBlas2 and MarketWatch’s own Myra Saefong at @MktwSaefong, as well as The Wall Street Journal’s @SaraKentWSJ and ThomsonReuters analyst @JKempEnergy.

14. @Brenda_Kelly — The trader and analyst stays well on top of Europe markets and elsewhere. It takes a big woman to admit stuff like this:

15. @IvanTheK — The “Lead Independent Director of Finance Twitter” description that graces his account page seems about right. Tongue-in-cheek that may be, but weets like this will make you one of his 20,000 or so slavish followers:

16. @StockCats — You had me at cats. Like Ivan, this stock trader delivers wisecrackery on a grand scale, and then some. Most days, a StockCats post can get you through:

17. @Financial_Orbit — Chris Bailey, founder of Financial Orbit, tweets on the dollar, stocks, the U.S., Europe, Asia. So, the whole shebang.

18. @hmeisler — Helene Meisler writes for The Street’s RealMoney.com. Small snippets of rapid-fire insight on stocks. Gets to the point fast.

19. @MarkYusko — The founder and chief investment officer of Morgan Creek Capital Management invoked Ferris Bueller in his latest quarterly letter. He called airlines “stupid cheap” in the summer, which became relevant once Warren Buffett got interested. He’s a nice guy, too.

20. @Livesquawk — Tweets as advertised, like the box in a dealing room. Add @AntBarton89, a Livesquawk analyst, while you’re at it.

21. @katie_martin_fx — Deputy head of fastFT, which delivers market-moving news and opinions. And she’s dead funny.

22. @faithmight — Lydia Idem Finkley is another forex expert who spent 19 years investing in equities. She blogs here.

23. @vexmark — Mark Constantine digs up fine, fine charts, and probably has the best profile art out there.

24. @andrewnyquist — Nyquist founded research website See It Markets, which offers up some pretty good research. He follows @Callum_Thomas @topdowncharts, who is also a deft hand at charty research.

25. @TheStalwart — Bloomberg TV editor Joe Weisenthal remains one of the kings of Twitter finance. Always a comment on the biggest finance issues of the day. And some snark.

26. @Sassy_SPY — Rachel Shasha, option trader, often shares out charts on the S&P 500 SPX, +0.36% and on a stock she frequently comments on, Chipotle CMG, -0.01% .

27. @RyanDetrick — The Twitter account run by Detrick, senior market strategist at LPL Financial, is a great place to check in for a good historical stat, which he tends to explain over at this blog.

28. @_SeanDavid — Sean Emory, founder, CIO of Avory & Co., also writes TheMarketMeter blog.

29. @TheBubbleBubble — Economic analyst Jesse Colombo spends a lot of time watching and warning about bubbles. He was sending out flares in the years up to the U.S. 2008 financial crisis, so has developed a loyal following. Real estate is a thorn in his side, again.

30. @AnneMarieTrades — Anne Marie Baiynd, author of The Trading Book, has a loyal following for her astute tweets and charts that aren’t hard to understand.

31. @KeithMcCullough — the CEO of Hedgeye Risk Management. To-the-point posts and analysis. He comments on the biggest moving issue of the day almost without fail, accompanied by a chart or observation.

32. @ritholtz — Barry Ritholtz, chief investment officer of Ritholtz Wealth Management, is good for stepping back and taking a good look at things, and his deeper market thoughts can be found at his blog, The Big Picture.

33. @JeffMacke — The investor and trader seems a deft hand at art, given his creative treatment of charts and company statements. While you’re at it, don’t miss a follow for @The_Real_Fly , the brains behind iBankCoin , which is where both share their deep thoughts:

34. @IGSquawk , @ChrisWeston_IG and @EvanLucas_IG are all worth a follow, and are good places to go to catch up on Asia-hours trading stuff.

35. @FXCM — Let’s roll over to currencies. Observations from global forex broker FXCM are worth your while. Trader positioning, chart patterns — the mysteries are explained for the non-chartists. They follow @BearBull_Trader , Mark Keiser, who tweets on forex and central banks and, sometimes, gifs.

36. @Kitjuckes — Global strategist at Société Générale who covers forex — actually, everything. Squeeze in @DailyFXTeam while you’re at it.

37. @callieabost — Financial analyst Callie Bost is a stickler for those Dow record stats. And something of a Tar Heels fan too.

38. @Ukarlewitz, otherwise known as Urban Carmel, tweets out charts and research and has a UBS and Wharton background.

39. @PredictedMkts — Sniffing through Urban Carmel’s follows unearthed this one. Great for stats on how long rallies have lasted for different securities.

40. @jsblokland — @Robeco fund manager Jeroen Blokland tweets out a lot of good stuff, like nice, clean bond charts. He’s definitely one to add as Europe heats up (or not) next year. He’s got a fair bit to say about oil as well.

41. @TihoBrkan is a Hong Kong-based wealth manager and worth a follow for his advice and charts.

42. @5_min_macro — As advertised.

43. @RaoulGMI — Raoul Pal founded Global Macro Investor, a newsletter for the world’s biggest hedge funds and pension funds. He runs Real Vision Television and is pretty convinced the U.S. economy is doomed. Here’s an interview he did with MarketWatch this year.

44. @z8angela — Angela Zhou, who describes herself as a day/swing stock/option trader who tracks technical charts and does analysis, is another one to add.

45. @zerohedge — Love it, hate it, Zerohedge still rolls with everything happening in finance. All the time.

46. @AndyBiotech — Getting sector specific, this so-called recovering scientist and biotech investor could come in real handy next year. Also on biotechs, try @emmarcourt from MarketWatch and then @megtirrell from Bloomberg.

My first Twitter Poll, please vote!

When do you think Trump tweet will hit the biopharma industry?
    — Andy Biotech (@AndyBiotech) December 7, 2016

47. @Stephanie_Link — Managing director for U.S. Equities at TIAA Global Asset Management, Stephanie Link tweets out small nuggets of good information.

48. @marketminute — Michele Schneider, director of research and trading education at MarketGauge, tosses up techs and charts.

49. @JustinWolfers — UMichEcon professor Justin Wolfers is all over politics and economics.

50. @cullenroche — Popular macro investment manager Cullen Roche, who has always got something to say.

51. @JLyonsFundMgmt — Dana Lyons works pretty hard at putting his charts together, and they are explained clearly and concisely. His Tumblr spot is a good place to check out.

52. @Ole_S_Hansen — @SaxoBank’s head of commodity strategy is another must-follow in the oil world.

53. @JoelKruger — The founder of JKonFX.com, Kruger goes pretty in-depth on forex analysis

.................They left Trump out lol. Looks like Marsman didn't make the finals this year either. :D:D

Ninja likes this.
  2. xandman

xandman

A little more than 2 decades ago, experts where those guys who got into the Institutional Investors All-Star Team. The field was mostly limited to the 10 biggest banks.

Not that you made money out of it, but you knew that what you read from them was from the foremost expert. These guys sometimes moved up to eventually become CEO's of the companies they covered.

Nowadays, it's just noise, noise and more noise. I think TA is coming back. And, that Renko method looks very appealing to me.

3. You could save lots of bytes by just posting the link. And more importantly -- which of these feeds do you yourself find valuable?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

Think of how many I could save by not posting pictures of monkeys and other assorted stupid things. :D:D
    Actually, the list was all chopped up with comments in between the links and I deleted them. Plus I wanted it here for myself as a quick in house go to day to day.

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

As for which I find useful.... I'll be honest, I never even looked at Twitter until Marsman and Trump came along. lol

I will say that back in the day, I used to enjoy Jeff Macke on CNBC. Of course he got fired for running his mouth I think.

So I dunno... I will be going through them all to see. Stay tuned.

6. TA is definitely back. We'll see of course...

7. you should definitely use twitter, all the folks mentioned above are really worth following.