The story of Overstock's Mad King

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Pekelo, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauren...erstocks-mad-king-patrick-byrne/#518b85a153a5

Right, blockchain will save Africa....But anyhow, nothing like a good upbringing:

"Byrne is the son of the late John “Jack” Byrne, a University of Michigan-trained mathematician and renowned insurance executive credited with turning around Geico in the mid-1970s and persuading Warren Buffett to invest in the auto insurer. Geico would eventually become one of the biggest contributors to Berkshire Hathaway’s bottom line, and Buffett once described Byrne’s father as “the Babe Ruth of insurance.” When Byrne was in middle school, he gravitated toward his father’s friends. Bethesda neighbor Gordon Macklin, the president of Nasdaq from 1975 to 1987 (and later the chairman of San Francisco investment bank Hambrecht & Quist), would drive Patrick to school regularly. Buffett was an occasional house guest, and Byrne’s parents would allow him to skip school to spend time with the investment maven."

How did Overstock do profitwise?

"In 2017 and 2018, as Byrne shifted his attention to expanding in crypto and blockchain, the company began bleeding red ink—a whopping $316 million over two years, which is more than twice the profits Overstock has ever delivered."

So the last 2 years wiped out 7 years of profitability, twice.

The spy who shagged me:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    nooby_mcnoob, bone and dealmaker like this.
  2. bone

bone

Great thread. Fascinating. The most telling statement: “nothing kept Byrne’s attention very long”.

3. I thought the ceo quit because the fbi was executing a coup against trump

4. Pekelo

Pekelo

His net worth is pretty low, around 20 MM:

https://wallmine.com/people/18061/patrick-michael-byrne

I kind of understand his frustration with other e-commerce sites. At least Overstock did make profits for years, yet its valuation and revenues were much smaller than Wayfair's.

Is this reminding of you guys anybody?

"The problem is, unlike most companies that buy back shares as prices decline, Overstock is selling, diluting the company’s equity....Over time Byrne developed a dilettante’s reputation for overpromising and underdelivering."

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    apdxyk likes this.
  5. bone

bone

_eug_ likes this.
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

That link breaks down the stocks he sold over the years and his salary. Neither of them are significant amount. Even if the guess is off by 100%, it is still not particulary big compared that his company actually made profits. The Uber CEO who doesn't even promise profits EVER, is worth probably 100 times as much.

7. Watch out for that girl, looks like she could Kutchyakockoff...

Cuddles and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  8. apdxyk

apdxyk

That Tatar chick looks like an average Moscow Metro sweeper, nothing to write home about. Are American guys are so deprived? I doubt..

9. Cuddles

Cuddles

10. Pekelo

Pekelo

He didn't do her for pleasure, he did her for the country!! Since you are so picky, may I interest you with a redhead?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Chapman

#10     Aug 26, 2019
    apdxyk likes this.