The Stigma of Daytrading Lives

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Arthur Deco, Mar 13, 2010.

1. I don't give a shit what anyone thinks of me:

Good, now you can join the "etrade" baby and make millions all the while you enjoy your retirement.

Now say this little Latin chant evertime you fire up your trading platform..

" I Am Sofa King Re Tarded"

#11     Mar 15, 2010
  2. knew that most pple on ET were retirees long ago:

Beyond retired,,,,,

#12     Mar 15, 2010
  3. Daytraders are losers.

They actually deserve to be stigmatized and mocked up.

#13     Mar 16, 2010
  4. jem

jem

I am daytrading a bit again. I had to make money to build up my account after losing most of it in real estate.

I love it so.

If I get to the point where I can make a living trading again. I will say it proudly. I daytrade. Or I trade for a living.

Most wont believe you but who cares.

#14     Mar 17, 2010
  5. wjk

wjk

I used to target shoot with a friend I worked with back in the day. After not being in touch with him for many years, he called me out of the blue. He needed a place to stay as he had been evicted for the night by his girlfriend. We talked for awhile and he asked what I'd been doing for the last 10 years. I told him I had started day trading 5 or 6 years prior. His next question was: "Have you shot any of your neighbors yet?" Even though he was joking (I think), he no longer wanted to spend the night. I called him a few days later but he didn't return the call. I haven’t heard from him since.

The question is: Is the stigma a bad thing or a good thing?

#15     Mar 17, 2010
  6. Welcome newly retired. I’m oldly retired. You should have more fun with than saying you’re a daytrader. I tell them I am in the “Import Business” (making profits trading Chinese stocks). And if I sat in my chair the way you do. I can hear my wife now quoting the ‘Christmas Story’ movie with “…Watch it. You will blow your balls off….”

Best of trades.

#16     Mar 17, 2010
  7. GiantDog

GiantDog

At least you admit it you bungling boob. :p

#17     Mar 17, 2010
  8. Jem, thanks for posting, and my sincere best wishes for rebuilding your grubstake. Next time at least have some fun and piss it away on women.

Wjk, funny story. I open carry in my own yard, prefectly legal. Nobody ever drops by.

Rabbi-tone, thanks for the advice. But usually only toes are at risk, as I drape the pistolas pointing everywhere but at the jewelry box. Ordered a new old-west bandolier style holster today that will help keep the 357 mangun pointed away. Any ghost cowboys with 30 long colts are advised to keep their distance. One of the kids regularly saw ghosts here. But they never bother people like me.

#18     Mar 17, 2010
  9. My dysfunctional family has always asked, "are you still a stock broker"?

I've NEVER been a stock broker! They can't even conceptualize the notion of "trading the markets" for a living...

#19     Mar 17, 2010
  10. :D not my immediate family, but all my relatives think the same.

I try to convince them I'm a portfolio manager, tell them of a modest monthly income, deflecting all my PnL fluctuations.

PS: when trading did not generate sufficient income, I convinced them on working on some highly specialized research :D

#20     Mar 17, 2010